+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mystery of the Chlorine puck

Default mystery of the Chlorine puck

Has anyone had a chlorine puck last for months and months??? I put one in a feeder in my pool late last fall to help maintain the Cl level since my filter and SWG wouldn't be running so often. Last weekend I opened up the floater and saw that MAYBE about 1/2 the puck has dissolved.

Is it just because the water got colder? The lowest it got over the winter was 50 degrees, and now it's up to 68 degrees.

Seems very weird to me, that's all. Happily, I got to look at a pretty blue pool all winter with only minimal maintenance!
    about 27,000 gal IG w/spa
    Polaris cleaner
    Autopilot SWCG
    Pentair cartridge filter

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: mystery of the Chlorine puck

Sounds like your automatic feeder is clogged and with the cold water, nothing's growing.
    Carl

The chlorine puck dissolves because of the water flowing through the canister, so if you didn't adjust the dial to a lower setting, the chlorine puck should last just as long as summer, albeit the cooler water temps will slow it down just a little bit.

I agree with Carl that it's possible (and very likely) that your canister is clogged and fortunately with the colder water temps, there's very little algae activity to worry about. You should get this checked before it starts to warm up.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Thanks guys. I have one of those Chlorine floater-things, not a feeder. Don't they just rely on the movement around the pool to circulate water through it?

Now that the water is warming up, my Autopilot will take care of things but I was really surprised the puck was still hanging around. (The SWG maintained the pool at 1.5-2ppm all winter with the help of only a few bottles of bleach.) I hope it starts dissolving soon or I'll have to figure out how to dispose of it safely.
    about 27,000 gal IG w/spa
    Polaris cleaner
    Autopilot SWCG
    Pentair cartridge filter

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by river-wear View Post
    The SWG maintained the pool at 1.5-2ppm all winter with the help of only a few bottles of bleach.) I hope it starts dissolving soon or I'll have to figure out how to dispose of it safely.
    Or you can just leave it in the pool until it does eventually dissolve--it won't hurt anything, and that's the best way to dispose of it.

Jan

+ Reply to Thread