+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ps234

Default Ps234

I know this is probably the wrong place to post this but I couldnt see where it would fit....any way,,,,I have had the PS233 for a couple years. And now I see that a new PS234 is out, Is it better then the 233? What are the diffrence in the 2? Should I upgrade? Getting ready to open the pool up and wanna get this kit if it has some things it will do that the old one will not (got to get some refills any way)

PopcornGirl is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst PopcornGirl 0

Default Re: Ps234

Poolidiot,
    I was just reading up on this today... Check this out: PS234 vs. PS233
    It might have the information you are looking for...
    Also, HERE
    HTH,

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

You get tools to make it even easier. More instructions, a sample bottle, more CYA reagent, and an optional salt test. Every update to the PS-2xx series is nice.

Do you NEED it if you have the PS-233? Not unless you are having troubles figuring out how to use the PS-233. You may need reagent refills, but Ben and Taylor sell those as well.

I actually have a bunch of kits:
    PS-232,
    PS-233,
    Leslie's FAS-DPD and Total Pool care kits (together they are similar to the PS-232), made for them by Taylor,
    the WalMart HTH 5-Way kit,
    another DPD-based test kit (mostly useless),
    several little OTO kits
    and lots of reagent re-fills.
    Plus, I DO have strips--that's how I know how bad they are.

IF you know what you are doing, the tests in the top 3 on the list are equivalent and you will get similar results. The 233 is a bit nicer than the 232, and gives you a different and better pH test--plus more refills.
    The Leslie's combo gives you acid demand and base demand tests (which are nearly useless and very misleading--I never bother), and the DPD-FAS also tests for Monopersulfate (is that right?)

I have used all of them...That's why I call the WalMart the VW beetle of good test kits.

But do you NEED to upgrade from PS-233 to PS-234? No. Will it be a nicer kit? Sure! But if you are using the PS-233 correctly and have ample reagents, you are FINE!
    Carl

I was in the same boat so to speak. I needed a couple of refills and it was darn near the cost of the whole kit so I figured what the heck. And since some of my existing kit (233) is almost 2 years old I figured it would be better to start with fresh chemicals.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Poolidiot
    I know this is probably the wrong place to post this but I couldnt see where it would fit.

I have had the PS233 for a couple years. And now I see that a new PS234 is out, Is it better then the 233?
    Hi Poolidiot;

This section is probably the best place for this question, so that's fine.

As CarlD said, the PS234 is not 'better' than the PS233, if you are already succeeding with it. I hope the instructions and layout will make it a little easier to learn than the PS233, but the tests are the same.

The links for all the differences are posted, but here are some that I think signficant:
    • Bottles are labeled and colored by test, not product number. Eg, instead of using bottles labled R0870, R0871, and R0003 for the FAS / DPD chlorine test, you now use bottles labeled FAS-DPD #1, #2, & #3
    • I've made some further efforts to 'right size' reagent quantities. So, the ALK #1 and ALK #2 are now 1/2 oz instead of 3/4 oz, but the CYA #1 (R0013) included refill is now 8oz instead of 4oz.
    • Enough test charts, for an entire summer, are now printed on water resistant paper, and included.
    • There's a sample bottle, with a dispenser lid, to make it easier to fill the various test vials.
    • There's an optional included test for salt (chloride).
    There is one more point to consider, for some. Once we have the kits in stock, and ready to ship on order, I'm going to discontinue all reagents, refills, and support for all PS23x kits prior to the PS233. For this reason, I've made the PS234 available at a discount to anyone who's ever purchased a complete testkit from me. For kit owners, a new PS234 should cost less than a complete set of refills.

There will also be a series of minor changes, within the PS234. For example, now that we are printing labels with a color laser, I can include a set of color bars for the OTO kit, that allows estimation of higher levels of chlorine. I ran one set of test the other day, and found that it will take some more work, but that I will be able to do this. (See the image below).

There are several minor container and vial improvements that we'll be making, as we are able.

Hope this gives you the info you need.

Ben
    Attached Images

Sherra is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher Sherra 0

Question Re: Ps234

Are we still looking at a ship date of sometime next week?
    Sherra
    Kershaw County South Carolina
    18x34 IG 2' radius rectangle vinyl liner (approx 27,500 gal) 1 1/2" pipes installed March 2006
    (previous AG pool owner)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Yep.

It looks like we'll ship the first few Monday, and have most of the non-salt kits shipped by the end of the week, with the remainder (of current orders) and the salt kit orders shipping the first week of May.

They'll ALL go out Fed Ex Ground, which is 3 business days or less to most of the US, 4 days to CA, and 5 days to OR and WA.

I've really been giving my new color laser printer a workout, printing all the new labels.

BTW, I found out late last season that a lot of people didn't realize that all the labels used on our kit, including the top 'chart' label, are waterproof. I've used that same polyester label material on pipes that were submerged, and had the label remain legible for 5+ years. (You can't APPLY it to a wet surface, but once applied, water doesn't hurt it.)

Ben

Thanks for the responses, kind of what i figured. I take it that the new kit is not ready yet? I think i will order the new kit , Thanks again

How long will the discount for current kit owners be available. I bought a new ps233 late last summer and don't need a new one yet, but will want one in the future. I LOVE my kit and being able to check everything myself. Thanks!!

Ok got my new PS234 ordered yesterday. Will just use my old 233 till the new gets here.

+ Reply to Thread