+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intermatic Relay Problem

cmack is offline ** No working email address ** cmack 0

Default Intermatic Relay Problem

I have an intermatic/Blue Haven control box that's given me trouble free operation for years. Now out of the blue my low speed pump relay dosen't work. My timer/relay still works for high speed operation. But even though I have the dip switches set for 9 hours of operation it only kicks into low speed for five minutes after the high speed shuts down. I dont want to have to replace the whole box. Does anyone know where I can pick up a new relay? Assuming that what the problem is.
    Any help or input would be appreciated.
    Thanks for your time guys.
    Cmack

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Intermatic Relay Problem

Don't know anything about that controller but because of the 5 minutes on low that you mention it doesn't sound like a relay. Something with the timing control. All a relay does is take a low level command voltage and control a high power load. If you can see this relay does it look like toe contacts have overheated? Sometimes the contacts will get crummy and develope a high resistance that can lead to overheating and/or burning of the contacts, of fail to work altogether.
    Al

No I can't see the contacts. Unless I pry the thing apart. But good point. Maybe the points are fried and will only work for a limited time at low power. My timer works fine. My main timer that is. Its the secondary dip switches that seem to be inoperable. It wont work on auto at all for low speed. That control box is a standard Intermatic with P1 P2 relay. Maybe I'll see if I can't open it up and spray some contact cleaner on the contacts.
    Thanks though.

It looks as though the box is made by Jandy not intermatic. Maybe I should contact them.

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

Did you check to see if you were getting any voltage at the pump. You mentioned that low speed shuts down after only being on for 5 minutes. I am wonderring if there is a problem with the motors low speed windings that is causing the thermal lockout to kick in. You should be able to check to see if the motor is getting voltage in the bell housing of the motor.

+ Reply to Thread