+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's your thought on pool alarms?

hoogie is offline ** No working email address ** hoogie 0

Default What's your thought on pool alarms?

Just curious. We have an 14 * 28 inground, 4' fence surrounding the backyard with self closing gates and childproof latches.

Recently I watched a 5 year old neighborhood kid climb over the fence with no problem to get a ball.

Has me wondering if a pool alarm is a good investment or not. I'm looking at one for safety resons as there are a ton of children in our area.

I was specifically looking at a Smartpool PE-21 if anyone has any experience with those or others it would be appreciated. Lots different models for sale but not many reviews.

Thanks,

Mark

simsjim is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst simsjim 0

Default Re: What's your thought on pool alarms?

This is just my opinion, but I would want one that not only has a loud alarm, but also is able to trigger some remote device (i.e. text mssg to a cell phone or pager), or have multiple alarm horns in various locations. I say this because, with just a poolside horn, its quite possible that if you are in the front yard mowing the lawn or something, you would not hear the alarm in the back yard.

Someone may be able to offer up better information.

Thanks,
    J

According to Consumer Report only the Poolguard brand was acceptable and passed all tests.

no opinion on which is best but remember they do not take place of supervision.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Post Re: What's your thought on pool alarms?

Mark, in Ct, where I live and install pools, a pool alarm is required by law to be included for every new pool built (as of the late '90s). We provide them (and will install them if asked to - our obligation, legally, ends with our providing the owner the unit), I'd say that over 50% of owners don't install them nor use them. The one we are using now is the Poolguard (that Iwannapool mentioned), it has not only a VERY peircing unit alarm, but also an indoor receiver that sounds stridantly inside the house (I know of no units that can do more than this (as per simsjim's advice)).
    One of the problems with pool alarms is that high winds can set them off, and you may have to lose a little return efficiency to keep them from sounding off every ~ hour. IMO, the ones that attach to the ladder are worse than the deck mounted ones. I believe that infra-red 'beam' deck alarms are available, which take the wind and returns (the pool water) out of the picture, but I can see issues with falling leaves and wind blown debris setting them off.
    I congratulate you on wanting to make your pool as safe as possible! (I know that I'm not the only one here who has had to call in a 'floater' (deceased person in the pool)). Do some research and find out which unit will be best for your situation - pools should be nothing but fun, however - there's always the chance... - the only thing you want to kill in your pool is algae and bio-nasties!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

hoogie is offline ** No working email address ** hoogie 0

Thanks all for the info. I'll check out poolguard a little bit more. I've got some good areas to mount it and hopefully it'll save me from ever having to call in a 'floater', that must have been disturbing, sorry to hear.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread