+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spa Leaking?

Question Spa Leaking?

Is it typical and customary in a pool/spa combination for the spa water level to drop 1" in a 24hr period after shutting down the equipment? My spa is connected to the pool with a water fall back into the pool when operating. After the filter shuts down, the next day the water level in the spa has dropped 1". I am a new pool owner and do not have any bench marks to compare this in order to determine if I have a leak or this is acceptale. Pool/spa is approx 15,000 gals.

ehorn is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst ehorn 0

Default Re: Spa Leaking?

Hey, well no your spa should not be loosing 1" of water in 24 hours. The only things that should remove such water is:

1. If the water is just leveling off over the waterfall/spill over.

2. There is some backflow into the pool through your plumbing. I know most spas usually have a flow device to prevent backflow but sometimes depending on how you have your valves it can flow back through the plumbing.

If neither of those are suspected then I'd say you have a leak. I'm still a pool newbie but thats my take on it.

Eric

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Please do NOT start the same thread more than once. Do not assume that you have to post it in several places to ensure response. It is board policy to only allow a thread in one place.

Don't worry about visibility, though: Many members click on the "New Posts" link to see what's been added. That is how I saw two identical threads

Since this one has a response and the other doesn't I am going to delete that thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Carl
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

You have a spillover spa that is rasied above the water level in your pool and when the pump is shut off the water in the two bodies of water will try to reach the same level. Depening on exactly how your system it plumbed it is entirely possible that enough water will run back through the plumbing to cause the spa to drop one inch (There is a lot less water in you spa then in you pool so water just running back through the jets into the pipes can cause a noticable lowering of the water level). Try leaving the system off for a couple of days and see if it drops even more. If it does then you might have a leak. In spillover spas the first place I would check are the light niche and the jets.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread