+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Safe for swimming?

kevincad is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst kevincad 0

Default Safe for swimming?

As posted in another thread on algae, my pool water and pool were pristine, until I put the solar cover on and left it on. For some reason, there is now algae on the pool walls, although I have kept the cl level up to 5 or 6 since opening two weeks ago. Anyway, so now, with a cya of 40, I'm guessing I need to keep the CL up to about 15 to kill algae, right? For how long? The water is still clear, by the way, just green algae on the walls. So, I keep the CL up around 15 for some period of time? Now, how about swimming? The temp is coming close to 70, and those two wanting to swim and not being intimidated in the least by it being cold, will be begging to get in! Can they?

Default Re: Safe for swimming?

I'd get rid of the algae on the walls first. That means brushing. Give it a day to clear, keep the Cl up and you should be fine.

Michael

Kevin,

Michael has given good advice, give it a day or two at shock levels, brush & vacuum a couple of times and you’ll be fine. I do want to try to help with your questions since you still seam baffled.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevincad
    As posted in another thread on algae, my pool water and pool were pristine, until I put the solar cover on and left it on. For some reason, there is now algae on the pool walls, although I have kept the cl level up to 5 or 6 since opening two weeks ago. Anyway, so now, with a cya of 40, I'm guessing I need to keep the CL up to about 15 to kill algae, right? For how long? The water is still clear, by the way, just green algae on the walls. So, I keep the CL up around 15 for some period of time?
    As waste noted, you may have algae due to the pool not being able to “off gas”. My gut is that you never really killed the algae as JohnT said. My advice (for what it's worth): Next time when opening your pool, shock it using Ben’s Best Guess Chart and keep it there for SEVERAL days. I also use a solar cover initially to help the heat pump with a 20 degree + change. I do however uncover it for a few hours every 3 or 4 days to help it “air out”.

Quote Originally Posted by kevincad
    Now, how about swimming? The temp is coming close to 70, and those two wanting to swim and not being intimidated in the least by it being cold, will be begging to get in! Can they?
    I wouldn’t swim in a pool with 15ppm of FC (with CYA of 40) however this doesn’t mean it will hurt you. In fact, I’m pretty sure it won’t. I recall a comment that Ben made about swimming in FC levels much higher. I think he just recommended wearing old swim suits that a little fading wouldn't hurt. By the same token, what’s another day? I’ll bet once you've beat the algae, if you leave the pool uncovered in direct sun all afternoon and then overnight, your FC will drop below 10. Between the UV and steam (if it’s as cool there is it is here) you’ll loose quite a bit. Then the little ones will surely be fine.

I have swam in a pool over 50 ppm (had to do some underwater work). I rinsed before and after and I am still fine, well at least no worse then before

Quote Originally Posted by Brock
    I have swam in a pool over 50 ppm (had to do some underwater work). I rinsed before and after and I am still fine, well at least no worse then before
    He says while wagging his new tail! Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidD
    Kevin,

Michael has given good advice, give it a day or two at shock levels, brush & vacuum a couple of times and you’ll be fine. I do want to try to help with your questions since you still seam baffled.

As waste noted, you may have algae due to the pool not being able to “off gas”. My gut is that you never really killed the algae as JohnT said. My advice (for what it's worth): Next time when opening your pool, shock it using Ben’s Best Guess Chart and keep it there for SEVERAL days. I also use a solar cover initially to help the heat pump with a 20 degree + change. I do however uncover it for a few hours every 3 or 4 days to help it “air out”.

Thanks for the info. The part that has me semi baffled is that when I closed, I raised the cl level to somewhere around 7 or 8 ppm, and when I took the cover off this spring, the cl was still 5, was that not enough to kill the algae?

I wouldn’t swim in a pool with 15ppm of FC (with CYA of 40) however this doesn’t mean it will hurt you. In fact, I’m pretty sure it won’t. I recall a comment that Ben made about swimming in FC levels much higher. I think he just recommended wearing old swim suits that a little fading wouldn't hurt. By the same token, what’s another day? I’ll bet once you've beat the algae, if you leave the pool uncovered in direct sun all afternoon and then overnight, your FC will drop below 10. Between the UV and steam (if it’s as cool there is it is here) you’ll loose quite a bit. Then the little ones will surely be fine.
    Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread