+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2 speed pump or not? Also the great DE debate!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: 2 speed pump or not? Also the great DE debate!

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    It takes less than an hour to clean four large cartridges
    Pretty much in line with my 15 minutes for one!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

joelq is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst joelq 0

Hi all - on the topic of 2-speed pumps, I'm debating replacing my 1-speed Northstar with a 2-speed pump, but wasn't sure if it would work with my plumbing.

I have a spa with spillover and weeping wall plumbed to the pump. The Polaris has its own booster pump. I don't vacuum, or at least, have never vacuumed in the year that I've owned the pool. If I switched to a 2-speed, will I have to run at high-speed just to get the weeping wall and spillover to work? Or do I just adjust the spillover and weeping wall valves to allow more water through when running in low-speed?

Thanks!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by joelq View Post
    Hi all - on the topic of 2-speed pumps, I'm debating replacing my 1-speed Northstar with a 2-speed pump, but wasn't sure if it would work with my plumbing.

I have a spa with spillover and weeping wall plumbed to the pump. The Polaris has its own booster pump. I don't vacuum, or at least, have never vacuumed in the year that I've owned the pool. If I switched to a 2-speed, will I have to run at high-speed just to get the weeping wall and spillover to work? Or do I just adjust the spillover and weeping wall valves to allow more water through when running in low-speed?

Thanks!

Joelq, you probably will get more responses if you will start a new thread with this question instead of joining it to another thread....this thread is already 3 pages long and has gone from pumps to the DE/Cartridge debate. Try reposting in a new thread.

Janet

simsjim is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst simsjim 0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    Ok, here's my take.

If your sand filter is slightly oversized (mine is) at low speed on your pump in cleans better. As the sand gets older and dirtier, it also filters better. Finally, adding a little DE powder after you back wash will down-right POLISH your water--and I've gone 2 seasons already on an $8. box of DE. .
    VERY Interesting, and helpful! see my thread on "Pentair pump filter to replace Hayward" Gives me more food for thought......

+ Reply to Thread