Closed Thread

Thread: Brushing new plaster

zelmo is offline ** No working email address ** zelmo 0

Default Brushing new plaster

When is it best to start brushing new plaster? Is it the same day the pool is filled or some time after?

Default Re: Brushing new plaster

We had 3M plaster installed and I was instructed to begin brushing as soon as the pool was full, which was the day after plaster was finished. I brushed it 2-3 times a day and it was pretty much cleared up in a week or so. I was told not to run my suction cleaner for at least 3 weeks.

Is 3M plaster better than other brands?

GutierrezPlastering Guest

3M isn't necessarily better its the same as regular plaster just that instead of using Marblemix sand its substituted with the 3M Sand/aggregate which give your pool a color different from regular plaster.

I know our pool company said it's better, but as far as I can tell, they just add the 3M colored crystals to the mix. "This" is why it's better/stronger than plain plaster asI was told. Couldn't tell you if it'll last longer or not since it's brand new. I did expect a little more color uniformity though. Looking at the plaster from above, it looks more like a whispy cloud scene over the blue color. I have no clue if this is normal since I didn't check out other 3M pools. There are areas of dark blue and areas of whispy cloud white. We went with the Cayman Blue/Green blend. Ultimately, I love the color, but would have gone a bitt darker with the premium blend if I had to do it over again.

Our pool was just plastered wed 4/26, filled 4/27 and is now just sitting as the start up guy has not shown yet. Finally got him on the phone and he says don't do anything, I'll prob. be out Monday - but you can swim if you want.

Swim???? in a pool thats been sitting for almost 3 days now with no chemicals, no pump/filter running, and some misc. bugs, small amt. of grass clippings and bits of sand at the bottom?

I asked him if we should be brushing, he said no, not to do anything.
    ???

I will be filling my new pool next week. We are going with colored plaster(med. grey) same as the last pool............Lasts months that is.
    First we were told brush. Then not to brush. Wich is it? And what exactly does brushing do ?
    I am so happy to have this board as a source of info! And thankyou for the much needed information.

GutierrezPlastering Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HAYMAN
    I will be filling my new pool next week. We are going with colored plaster(med. grey) same as the last pool............Lasts months that is.
    First we were told brush. Then not to brush. Wich is it? And what exactly does brushing do ?
    I am so happy to have this board as a source of info! And thankyou for the much needed information.

You need to brush it due to the Lime that the Marblemix contains, once it is applied and the plaster dries it releases the Lime. When your pool is done when the plasterers are complete rub your hand on the plaster and you will see your skin is a little white. Its just an effect from the Marblemixed sand. Once your pool is up and running brush it twice a day for two weeks, and don't let your polaris run either or it will leave wheel marks on the newly plastered surface.

I wondered where those marks came from...........................Can't thankyou enough for the info.

Closed Thread