Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve's pool project 1-24-07

skamp is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst skamp 0

Default Steve's pool project 1-24-07

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a new pool and I am looking for some comments and/or suggestions. The pool builder is an established builder in NW Houston (The Pool Man). I am really looking for any and all suggestions to make to save me pain in the long run on my design or choices.

In this quote there are a few things that I am changing.

1. Change filter to DE
    2. Remove infloor cleaning system.
    3. Remove the Ozonator. I have read here they are not really worth the money.
    3. Change from sundeck to peagravel (this was my wifes choice. She likes the look better. I know it is hotter then sundeck but I may have to go with the boss on this one)
    4. Move the spa to the other side of the pool. I have a 2 year old and having it in front blocks my view. I am also having them enlarge the upper right side a bit to make the tanning ledge larger once the spa gets moved.

Here is a picture of the initial design

Here are the specs:

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS
    Pool Area: 515 Sq. Ft.
    Perimeter: 95 Ln. Ft.
    Dimensions: 19’W x 34’L
    Depth: 3’6” to 7’
    Pool/Spa Capacity: 20,200 Gallons
    Spa: 7’ Round 12” Raised Spa w/ 18” Spillover

Waterfeature: 3 ton Moss Rock Waterfall w/ 16’ of Moss Rock Beam

Benches: 6’ Deep-end Bench and Spa Wrap Around Bench

Tanning Shelf: 4’ x 8’ 1st Step Tanning Shelf w/ Umbrella Sleeve

STRUCTURAL SPECIFICATIONS
    100% Gunite:
    Beam: 12” x 12”
    Walls & Floor: 6”
    Steps, bench & spa bench: Per Plan
    Steel: Beam: (4) Bars of ½” Rebar
    Walls/Floor: 3/8” Rebar on 8. Centers

MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT
    Equipment Pad: Gunite
    Filter: Sta Rite Modular System 3, Cartridge Filter 400 Sq. Ft.
    Pool/Spa Pump: Sta Rite 2 HP
    Waterfall Pump: Sta Rite 2 HP
    Paramount Pump: Sta Rite 1 HP
    Blower: Polaris QT 1/5 HP
    Automatic Cleaner: PCC-2000 Cleaning & Circulation System w/MDX Main Drain and Debris Canister
    Controller: Easy Touch 8 Function Wireless Control System
    Sanitizer: Salt System w/ Beginnings and Renewals
    Ozonator: Paramount Clear 03 Ozone System
    Lights: Pool: One (1) Pentair Amerlite 500 Watt
    Spa: One (1) Pentair Aqualite 100 Watt
    Heater: Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400,000 BTU Nat

COPING, TILE & INTERIOR SPECIFICATIONS
    Coping: Flagstone
    Tile: Flagtsone
    Interior Finish: Pebble Tec Category 2
    Overflow: One
    PIPING
    1. PVC Schedule 40
    2. CPVC at pump connections
    3. Jandy never lube valves
    4. Fill line (1) Ύ” Sch. 40 Under the Coping w/Valve & Vac Breaker
    5. Main drain: Pool - Paramount MDX Main Drain Assembly
    6. Spa - Paramount MDX Main Drain Assembly
    7. Pool Return inlets: Per Paramount PCC2000
    8. Spa Jets: Six (6) w/ Directional Eyeballs
    9. Spa/Commons: Two (2) w/ Directional Eyeballs
    10. Skimmers: Two (2) Pentair Bermuda w/Equalizer Lines

Note: Standard plumbing package includes 2” direct piping from each skimmer and main drain assembly to the equipment with independent valves. Spas have 2.5” return and suction piping.

DECK SPECIFICATIONS
    Area: 1,020 Sq. Ft.
    Concrete: 4” Thick
    Type: Sundek
    Steel Schedule: 3/8” Rebar on 12” Centers
    Expansion joints: Plastic
    Dec-o-seal: Lightly sanded
    Drainage: 4” Area Drains to Street
    Concrete Removal: 120 Sq. Ft. of Patio

POOL MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT
    1. One (1) 8’ x 16” Telescopic Pole
    2. One (1) Vacuum head
    3. One (1) Nylon wall brush
    4. One (1) Leaf net
    5. One (1) Vacuum hose
    6. One(1) 4inl Testkit
    7. One (1) Chemical Start-Up Kit w/Bio-Guard Brand Chemicals

UTILITIES
    The Pool Man, Inc. will provide gas to the heater if applicable. Heater installation may require a meter upgrade. This must be done by the local gas provider and will be at the customers’ expense.
    Note: The Pool Man, Inc. will not be responsible for the expense to move any electrical, gas, sewer, telephone lines, or sprinkler systems to construct the pool.

Note: The construction price does not reflect tree removal. This does include a Sub-panel and Fence Removal and Replacement.

Total: $54,815.00

My real total is lower due to removing the cleaning system, ozonator and moving to pea gravel. The real total is $48,210.

OPTIONAL

1. PCC-2000 Cleaning & Circulation System wIMDX Main
    Drain and Debris Canister -$4,250.00
    2. Interior Finish to Marble White Plaster -$3,900.00
    3. Water-feature -$5,000.00
    4. Salt System w/ Beginnings & Renewal -$1,200.00
    5. Ozonator -$540.00
    6. Wireless Control System -$1,690.00
    7. Deck to Pea-gravel -$1,815.00
    8. Fire Pit wI Gas Line Stub, Fire Brick Lining, Flagstone Finish +2,400.00

26theone is offline ** No working email address ** 26theone 0

Default Re: Steve's pool project 1-24-07

Steve I am also in Houston and currently reviewing pool bids. Your pool design looks great and is very similar to what we are looking at doing. Your pricing looks very competitive. So much so that I am probably going to call your builder for a quote.

Are you keeping the flagstone inlays with the pea gravel? We are also contemplating flagstone inlays in sundek. I hadnt thought about flagstone in pea gravel. That is a pretty significant cost savings switching to pea gravel.

You should also think about keeping the MDX drains and canister even without the infloor cleaning system. That way you can sweep leaves to the drain and have it go to the cannister. One of my potential builders will do that even without the PPC-2000.

Also you might consider switching the single 500w light to 2 300w lights to provide some better lighting. The cost difference should only be a couple hundred dollars

Great looking pool!

jrouse1 is offline ** No working email address ** jrouse1 0

Hi Steve. I just wanted to comment on The Pool Man. They are doing a renovation on our 36 year old pool right now. They are fantastic! We had a bad experience with a bigger Houston company when we installed a new deck last year. The Pool Man is everything (so far) that the other builder wasn't.

The thing I've appreciated the most is they use their own people for stuff a lot of big companies sub out, and a supervisor comes to the job site every day and stays a while helping out if needed. We're having both of our ancient skimmers replaced, and it's not an easy job. Just watching the guys work I'm confident they know what they're doing and the job will be done correctly.

Communication to this point has been excellent (one of my biggest gripes last year). Everybody I've had contact with at The Pool Man seems to really know pools and has been in the business a long time. I hope you also have a good experience!

Your design looks fantastic! Alas, my pool will still be a plain, older pool, but it will look shiny and new with new tile and Pebble Tec. We're going with the Pebble Tec finish because we have a lot of oak trees and it seems like the pebbled bottom will hide some of the annoying stains we get from the seeds, leaves, twigs, etc. that are always falling in the pool. We do have the Kool Deck topping and like it very much...easy on the feet and easy to clean.

Good Luck!

Seems like your equipment is a long way from the pool. Is that a bathroom/poolhouse in the upper left? That might be a better location for the pump/filter.

2HP pump seems excessive since the waterfall has its own pump.

Quote Originally Posted by 26theone View Post
    Steve I am also in Houston and currently reviewing pool bids. Your pool design looks great and is very similar to what we are looking at doing. Your pricing looks very competitive. So much so that I am probably going to call your builder for a quote.

Are you keeping the flagstone inlays with the pea gravel? We are also contemplating flagstone inlays in sundek. I hadnt thought about flagstone in pea gravel. That is a pretty significant cost savings switching to pea gravel.

You should also think about keeping the MDX drains and canister even without the infloor cleaning system. That way you can sweep leaves to the drain and have it go to the cannister. One of my potential builders will do that even without the PPC-2000.

Also you might consider switching the single 500w light to 2 300w lights to provide some better lighting. The cost difference should only be a couple hundred dollars

Great looking pool!
    Yes it would be pea gravel with flagstone inlay. I am not worried about the cost as much as the fact that my wife just does not love the way it looks. She grew up using a pea gravel pool and I think there is some nostalgia there. The problem is that was in NY and the deck gets a bit hotter here! They use the MDX drains even without the cleaning system. I don't think they keep the canister so I may add that. I forgot that I am going with 2 lights instead of the single. Thanks for the input and complements!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jrouse1 View Post
    Hi Steve. I just wanted to comment on The Pool Man. They are doing a renovation on our 36 year old pool right now. They are fantastic! We had a bad experience with a bigger Houston company when we installed a new deck last year. The Pool Man is everything (so far) that the other builder wasn't.

The thing I've appreciated the most is they use their own people for stuff a lot of big companies sub out, and a supervisor comes to the job site every day and stays a while helping out if needed. We're having both of our ancient skimmers replaced, and it's not an easy job. Just watching the guys work I'm confident they know what they're doing and the job will be done correctly.

Communication to this point has been excellent (one of my biggest gripes last year). Everybody I've had contact with at The Pool Man seems to really know pools and has been in the business a long time. I hope you also have a good experience!

Your design looks fantastic! Alas, my pool will still be a plain, older pool, but it will look shiny and new with new tile and Pebble Tec. We're going with the Pebble Tec finish because we have a lot of oak trees and it seems like the pebbled bottom will hide some of the annoying stains we get from the seeds, leaves, twigs, etc. that are always falling in the pool. We do have the Kool Deck topping and like it very much...easy on the feet and easy to clean.

Good Luck!
    I am glad to hear that. I know a bunch of people that have used them and have been very happy. Thanks!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Seems like your equipment is a long way from the pool. Is that a bathroom/poolhouse in the upper left? That might be a better location for the pump/filter.

2HP pump seems excessive since the waterfall has its own pump.
    No that is a shed but I built it to look like a house. The equiptment is on that side becuase that is where the gas and electric are located. It is only about 30-40 feet from the spa. If I move it back by the shed it would be a fortune for the gas line and electric. It seems like the best location given the concerns. Thanks!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by skamp View Post
    No that is a shed but I built it to look like a house. The equiptment is on that side becuase that is where the gas and electric are located. It is only about 30-40 feet from the spa. If I move it back by the shed it would be a fortune for the gas line and electric. It seems like the best location given the concerns. Thanks!

Steve
    Make sure they don't butt the slab for the equipment against the foundation wall without an expansion joint or something to keep noise from being transmitted.

Make sure to go ahead and plan any fences or gates if required now so you'll notice any problems before you dig.

I highly recommend a poolhouse/cabana/changing room with a bathroom in the pool area. Traipsing through the house in wet clothes won't make mama happy, and you'll be going more than you think. At least plan for it if it's something you might ever want.

Looks like a beautiful pool.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Make sure they don't butt the slab for the equipment against the foundation wall without an expansion joint or something to keep noise from being transmitted.

Make sure to go ahead and plan any fences or gates if required now so you'll notice any problems before you dig.

I highly recommend a poolhouse/cabana/changing room with a bathroom in the pool area. Traipsing through the house in wet clothes won't make mama happy, and you'll be going more than you think. At least plan for it if it's something you might ever want.

Looks like a beautiful pool.
    I will make sure they add an expansion joint between the equiptment pad and the house. I would love to have a pool house but my backyard is too small and the budget is just not there. Thanks!

Steve

26theone is offline ** No working email address ** 26theone 0

I called your PB and the lady that answered said they dont build pools in my area. Odd, less that 40 miles from their offices? When you see your PB next you may want to ask if they build in Kingwood. I could throw a referral your way! Thanks

Closed Thread