Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Steve's pool project 1-24-07

skamp is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst skamp 0

Default Re: Steve's pool project 1-24-07

Quote Originally Posted by RocKKer View Post
    I am very happy with my autofill. It is a sump with a float in it, not digital, never had issues with it, 3 years now (other than the recent freeze in CA, but that was my fault).

The only problem was when I first got it running, plumber used alot of silicone on joints and they didn't flush anything and the filler valve was clogged with bits of silicone. No problems after I cleaned it out.

I also have autodrain. Both of these low-tech solutions IMHO are well worth the costs. I got these because I wanted to make my pool as low maintenance as possible.

You don't need anything digital for the autofill - autofill uses a float like your toilet, do u need a digital autofill for your toilet?
    I talked with my builder and they said they have not problem installing one. They told me that they are not too happy about using them as they also do a lot of maintenance and find that they fix them a lot. I am very handy so if I have to fix a float every few years then no big deal. Thanks!

Steve

Steve your pool plan is AWESOME!!!
    Your choice of pool builders is equally awesome, these guys are great.
    If all of my competitors were as stand up as The Pool Man I'd be in Hawg Heaven. They'll make you proud of your choice.

On your design I'll give you my .02

Ask for the credit on the Paramount Infloor cleaning system and take a Polaris 280 or a Pentair/Letro Legend with a booster pump. Take the credit and subtract the cost of the pool sweep (900 to 1000) Total credit 3300+-
    Ask for the credit on the Ozonator (540)
    Ask for the credit on Sundek (1815) and change to peagravel.
    Apply this 5600 credit towards landscaping around the new pool.
    I'd definitely leave the spa in its current location. On the right flank where it's located it won't block your view at all. It's positioned perfectly for minimal encroachment into the pool area and it allows gracious steps into the pool too.

Thanks for supporting the industry with your new pool purchase. You'll soon find out what all the hoopla of pool ownership is all about. Everything from having a cup of coffee in the morning, reading a book in the afternoon, to entertaining friends for dinner in the evening is greatly enhanced when conducted poolside. I promise you this, it's a lot more than just the swimming!!!

See ya,
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by huskyrider View Post
    Steve your pool plan is AWESOME!!!
    Your choice of pool builders is equally awesome, these guys are great.
    If all of my competitors were as stand up as The Pool Man I'd be in Hawg Heaven. They'll make you proud of your choice.

On your design I'll give you my .02

Ask for the credit on the Paramount Infloor cleaning system and take a Polaris 280 or a Pentair/Letro Legend with a booster pump. Take the credit and subtract the cost of the pool sweep (900 to 1000) Total credit 3300+-
    Ask for the credit on the Ozonator (540)
    Ask for the credit on Sundek (1815) and change to peagravel.
    Apply this 5600 credit towards landscaping around the new pool.
    I'd definitely leave the spa in its current location. On the right flank where it's located it won't block your view at all. It's positioned perfectly for minimal encroachment into the pool area and it allows gracious steps into the pool too.

Thanks for supporting the industry with your new pool purchase. You'll soon find out what all the hoopla of pool ownership is all about. Everything from having a cup of coffee in the morning, reading a book in the afternoon, to entertaining friends for dinner in the evening is greatly enhanced when conducted poolside. I promise you this, it's a lot more than just the swimming!!!

See ya,
    Kelly
    Kelly,
    First off, I appreciate the good things you have to say about The Pool Man. I did try to talk with you about giving me a quote. I left a voicemail and email but never got a response. I know you are very active here and have great insight into a lot of things.

I was planning on deleting the infloor and getting getting the Polaris 280 with the booster pump for no additonal cost. They will be using the Paramount drain and they are going to install the Paramount basket in the skimmer so I can sweep into the drain. I think it is a good comprise. What do you mean by the pool sweep?

I was also going to ditch the ozonator and Sundeck.

As far as the spa, I need to move it to the other side of the tanning ledge for two reasons. It is a 12" raised spa and I think it will block the view a little bit but the main reason is I am going to screen in my porch as I will not have enough space to walk between the spa and the screened patio. I could move the entire pool back but that is more decking, etc. I am going to enlarge the tanning ledge a bit so my 2 year old and soon to be 2nd girl have a nice place to play. Thanks for all the comments!

Steve

26theone is offline ** No working email address ** 26theone 0

We are also having similar decisions to make on our design. We want a raised spa with a stacked stone spillover as a focal point but dont want it between the house and the pool. We will probably put it on the far side of the pool but your design looks good on putting on the other side of your steps/tanning ledge.

Our builder also includes the Paramount ozonator and with negotiating it is basically not costing me anything extra. I wonder if I should just tell him to leave it out altogether?

It will be good to see pix of your flagstone inlays in pea gravel. Initially we think we want flagstone inlays with sundek but may switch to pea gravel.

Is your project starting soon? Assuming the rain ever stops down here?

Quote Originally Posted by 26theone View Post
    We are also having similar decisions to make on our design. We want a raised spa with a stacked stone spillover as a focal point but dont want it between the house and the pool. We will probably put it on the far side of the pool but your design looks good on putting on the other side of your steps/tanning ledge.

Our builder also includes the Paramount ozonator and with negotiating it is basically not costing me anything extra. I wonder if I should just tell him to leave it out altogether?

It will be good to see pix of your flagstone inlays in pea gravel. Initially we think we want flagstone inlays with sundek but may switch to pea gravel.

Is your project starting soon? Assuming the rain ever stops down here?
    I will post a picture tomorrow with the new design. It is not final as I am going to have them push the spa back a bit to increase the tanning ledge area. I don't have any picture of the pea gravel with flagstone but they showed me a bunch of pools with it and it looked great. Very natural looking. I was going to go with Sundeck but my wife really does not like the way it looks. Also I hear Sundeck is more maintenance. I hear it only lasts 7-10 years before a respray. My only concern with the pea gravel is it can get hot.

I am hoping to get it stated soon. I have to get my HOA approval which will take a few weeks but I hope to get it started in Feb. My wife is due with out 2nd child in May and all this needs to get done before then!

Steve

Here is an updated design. I am going to meet with them on Saturday to make some changes. I plan on moving the spa back a bit to increase the tanning ledge. We may have to change the lines on the back wall a bit. I am also going to increase the bench size in the deep end a bit.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Steve

26theone is offline ** No working email address ** 26theone 0

That looks great! Now you dont have to walk around the spa to get to your main steps/tanning ledge. Good idea putting the umbrella sleeve in your tanning shelf. Are you going to do a 7ft or 8ft spa? I will be working on our design tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by 26theone View Post
    That looks great! Now you dont have to walk around the spa to get to your main steps/tanning ledge. Good idea putting the umbrella sleeve in your tanning shelf. Are you going to do a 7ft or 8ft spa? I will be working on our design tonight.
    It is spec'ed as a 7' but I am going to have them angle the walls back 4-6" so the spa will increase to about 7' 6". Thanks!

Steve

Skamp,

Love the design. Your pool layout looks very similar to what I built last year. We love the tanning ledge and the wrap-around bench around the spa. Feel free to take a look at my build previously posted. It should give you a since of what your shallow end will look like.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=5975

My only advise is to push the spa out of the pool as far as you can. It truly does take a lot of space from your pool. Good luck on your build and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by divnkd101 View Post
    Skamp,

Love the design. Your pool layout looks very similar to what I built last year. We love the tanning ledge and the wrap-around bench around the spa. Feel free to take a look at my build previously posted. It should give you a since of what your shallow end will look like.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=5975

My only advise is to push the spa out of the pool as far as you can. It truly does take a lot of space from your pool. Good luck on your build and keep us posted.
    I have looked at your thread in the past and you pool is great! I really like the LED lights. I talked to my PB about them and they said the effect is not so great with PebbleTec. I am planning on tweaking the design and pushing the spa out quite a bit to open up the tanning ledge quite a bit. I hope to get my approval in a week or so and then they can start. I plan on taking lots of pictures and keep posting updates here. Thanks!

Steve

Closed Thread