+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Build to Start Late March or Early April

Default Pool Build to Start Late March or Early April

Well, my wife and I finally chose a builder and the pool will be started late March or early April, depending on weather and completion of a pool ahead of us.

We have more or less settled on a 20'x40' kidney vinyl inground diving pool with a 10' diameter spa, all with slate coping, and spill over fountain that looks like the spa is a spillover but isn't. For our pool the builder will use a 1 1/2 HP Pentair pump, he's the local warrenty center, with a Sta-rite cartrage filter, SWG, the largest heat pump available, two color wheel lights, steel steps and bench. I was sort of set on a DE filter going into things but the builder told us while DE filters will filter smaller particles out the cartrage filters are so much easier to maintain and he swears by the Sta-rite's. Also, the fiberglass inground spa has it's own separate heater, emersion type, light, pump and filter. He recommends bromine, not real crazy about that.

What other options should I consider that should be done at the time of the build; like sleeves in the decking for umbrellas, electrical outlets for lighting and general use? Should I spend the money for a spa SWG instead of bromine or clorine?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Default Re: Pool Build to Start Late March or Early April

Quote Originally Posted by iwannapool View Post
    I was sort of set on a DE filter going into things but the builder told us while DE filters will filter smaller particles out the cartrage filters are so much easier to maintain and he swears by the Sta-rite's.
    You will find many who will disagree with that. I had a cartridge filter in a previous pool, and will never own another one. They are terrible to maintain. (Unless you like getting sprayed with hose water) After seeing the problems DE filter users have if they let the pool get away from them, I'd be hesitant to go with one of them either. If you are remotely considering a robotic cleaner, life will be far easier for you with a sand filter.

As to other things to consider, whatever hardware you might need for an automatic cleaner should be installed during the build. At least the plumbing.

I think your pump is too big. I have a 20X36 diving pool and a 1HP pump handles it easily.

beary is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst beary 0

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    If you are remotely considering a robotic cleaner, life will be far easier for you with a sand filter.

As to other things to consider, whatever hardware you might need for an automatic cleaner should be installed during the build. At least the plumbing.
    We have a robotic cleaner and are very happy with it. I'm amazed that I only need to backwash the sand filter once a month at most.

I also plumbed for an automatic cleaner just in case we didn't like the robotic cleaner. It is cheap and can be used for a return if one breaks in the long future. As of right now, I connected my water to it so I can add water to the pool without dropping in a hose.

My other advice, have plans on hand so that you and your builder know what you are thinking. Every time you walk out to check on the work, carry the plans so that all the workers see that you checking against plans. I was so tired of arguing and having to watch the forman call our builder. Plans will say it right up front.

We were one of those March-April builds that didn't end up getting started until June. April to September is they busy season. I wish we would had waited until Fall or Winter because our crews were so busy during the March to August season that they didn't finish our pool until September anyway. We had a mess in our yard all summer long and still didn't get to swim. If your builder doesn't think he will get started until April, possibly May, I would consider waiting until September because if the crews are in a hurry, you have to watch them twice as close. Also, delays in the Winter are now big deal because you can't swim anyway. We love our pool, but most of my complaints are from mistakes they made because they were in a hurry. And we didn't get to swim anyways.

All builders will say from six to ten weeks, but what you should instead ask is how many pools are they doing while they are building yours and how many crews they have to do them. Our builder had one crew doing three pools at once and it was all he could do to keep up. Our build took basically 14 weeks.

Also, remember your pool builder builds pools. He may not understand landscaping, drainage, or even the complete cost of electrical. Before they start to dig, have a professional landscaper and electrician look at your plans. We spent $3500 to fix our yard drainage so water didn’t flow into the pool. If we had known, were could have saved that money by moving the pool a few feet or having the pool digger do some things differently. You got a big tractor out there to dig, he might be able to make your landscaping job easier with a few scoops dirt move around.

And the electrical? Well, I wanted my equipment at the back of the pool to reduce noise by the house. That put the equipment 100 ft from the house. Of course our pool guy said it was no problem. After the pool was dug, the electrician came by and estimated it was going to cost me at least $8000 more just to put the equipment at the back of the pool because of the wire and trenching required. I would have saved at least $8000 keeping the equipment by the house. Had I known that before we started, I might have done things differently.

Enjoy your pool.

Beary

What's the difference between an automatic cleaner and a robotic cleaner? Our pool includes one of the Polaris 3 wheeled cleaners that roam around randomly and cleans the bottom and walls.

I will certainly check on where the electrical will need to be run too and make sure I'm not hit with some hidden cost.

Thanks for the lessons learned and things to watch for. Anymore words from the wise are always appreciated.

I have a 3 wheeled polaris 280 and i love it. Its blue and white. It keeps our pool clean. Even withstood sucking up hundreds of leaves from our backyard trees over the fall. It has its own booster pump.
    We have a sand filter. We love it. No problems with it. I did not wanna mess with a cartridge when there was no need. I live in georgia and got several opinions about the filter first. Sand filters fine. Also, we have the Aqua Rite system. Its been great. Our pool is crystal clear and has been since it was done in August. We have a liner pool 14X28 Oasis Kafko pool. No spa. Didnt wanna deal witha heater and all that. More plumbing to worry about later. Plus, a pool never comes back in house value anyway. We chose stamped concrete around the pool. LOve it!
    We were told it would take 3 weeks.....It took 8 long weeks. By the end, we were disgusted with our pool builder. We had piles of dirt, mud, bugs, and a water filled hole for weeks.....you name it. Am I happy now, yes. But my daugher went back to school before we could swim. Not part of the plan.
    The positive for you, is the time of year your building. We built in the summer. Bad move on our part. They had alot of work ahead of ours. It could have been done in 2 weeks in my opinion.
    Last edited by georgiapoollover; 01-22-2007 at 12:45 PM. Reason: wanted to add this

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Pool Builders ALL give the same line on cartridge filters. We hear this from all over the country and I've heard it in my own neck of the woods far too often.

You will find that almost ALL home-owners HATE cartridge filters--very few can figure out how to make them work well. It's possible, some do, but most find cleaning them to be messy, unpleasant and very time-consuming.

I suspect there are 3 self-serving reasons builders push them:
    1) the plumbing is easier--they don't need to plumb in a backwash/waste line on a cartridge filter. Carts are simple to use and understand (just a terrible pain to clean--replacement cartridges are far too expensive for "throw-away"--you have to clean them.
    2) There's no six-way valve--better margin for the builder.
    3) The first season, you usually don't have to maintain the cartridge at all, until the season's over. By the second season, when you discover you HATE the thing, the warranty and his obligation have expired.

But ALL the pool builders push cartridges and SWEAR by them. I'm guessing that there must be something their association pushes. Homeowners here will give you a VERY different take.

I would much rather see you go with a DE or Sand filter. DEs filter the best, but we have some inexpensive tricks here that get a sand filter doing nearly as well. A cartridge DOES filter finer than a sand filter (not a DE though) but if you use our FAVORITE sand trick on the cart, you'll ruin it.

Many people run sand filters without our tricks very, very happily. Sand is easy--if you take care of it, you rarely, if ever, have to change it. DE is a little more labor intensive, but those who use them get into the routine and have no trouble.

Whichever you go with you want the builder to put in a waste/backwash line. This allows you to pump down the pool's water level using the pump, rather than a syphon or submersible. Furthermore, if you get an algae bloom down the road, we always recommend vacuuming every day TO WASTE. Can't do it if there's not a waste-line--and there probably won't be with a cartridge filter.

Notice that if you decide to change to DE or Sand you'll now need a waste-line--and it's MUCH cheaper to install at the beginning than later.

Besides, didn't make you suspicious when the builder told you it was a DISADVANTAGE that a DE filter filtered out smaller particles than a cartridge? Most of us, here, PREFER better filtering to worse filtering!
    Carl

My neighbor has a cartridge filter. They love it because the pool service company that closes their pool cleans it then - once a year (their pool is open about 3 months).

I have a DE filter that I maintain myself. It does a marvelous job and is quite easy to maintain. Especially if you understand that the initial DE fill follows the manufacturers requirement (a full fill), but subsequenct fills after a backflush need to be less (I do a 7 pound initial fill and a 4 1/2 pound fill after backflushing). This is because a backflush doesn't remove all of the DE (its posted on the forums somewhere).

I have a cartridge on my Softub spa. Hate the thing, but only clean it twice a year.

I think if you are going to have a pool service company do your closings, then a cartridge is fine. If you plan on doing your own maintenance, I think either sand or DE will be better. IMHO only, of course.

Man, I just notice that Carl beat me to it, and did a better job at that! But I agree with what he said.
    Last edited by tphaggerty; 01-22-2007 at 12:59 PM.

what tricks can i use for my sand filter? I dont know them.....

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Cool Re: Pool Build to Start Late March or Early April

Iwannapool, welcome to the forum!! I have a couple things to say on what's been said on this thread (some of them may even be useful to you )

GPL for info on improving sand filter's performance, see thread http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=515 and look at Poconos' response. Also check out http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=6143 and read chem geek's and CarlD's responses (Richard gives 2 links on the subject) - <spoiler> it's adding some DE to the filter. (Carl, any chance of 'sticky-ing' the 'DE in sand filter' info? - it seems to come up fairly frequently - THX)

With reguard to the advantages of a multiport (not available on cart filters- but is on DE and sand filters) see threads http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=5319 (#2) and http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=5727(#6)

A preplumbed line may indeed have future use and will cost boo-coo bucks less to have it run when the pool is going in.

The Polaris is an automatic cleaner, often with a booster pump and designated line which runs off of the filter system and requires the pool pump (or a booster pump) to provide it with the suction or return water which drives it. A robotic cleaner works independently of the filter system (power source is in the unit and is motorized).

As a last, for now, note: the schedual of construction/ completion depends upon many factors including-
    Builder competence and crew availability/ ability.
    Weather!
    Schedual of payments ('cuts' or 'draws') {check your contract as to what will be done before you have to break out the checkbook to pay him for work-to-date - USUALLY, THE MORE CUTS, THE QUICKER THE JOB WILL BE COMPLETED}
    Unforseen difficulties (ie- hitting bedrock when digging an 8' deep pool)

As you said that you had 'finally' chosen a builder, I'll assume that you researched and compared prices/ products - CONGRATULATIONS! , if you did your 'pre-buy-work' then everything should go smoothly!

I'm sure you've gotten one of the top builders in your area and shouldn't experience problems with your pool being built. I hope you'll share some photos of the project when it starts next spring (and share any success stories of running your pool 'the PoolForum way')

Have a great winter and never hesitate to ask the great and knowledgable folks here any questions you may encounter!! - Waste
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Well my PB showed up Friday and took out 7 trees and today pool kit, 20 x 40 Mountain Pond by Cardinal, showed up as well as the heater, fiberglass in ground spa, filter, pump and misc. other boxes that I'm not sure what's in them.

Will try to post pictures once things get going.

imgettingapool (formerly known as iwannapool)

+ Reply to Thread