+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how to repair this pvc pipe problem

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

Default how to repair this pvc pipe problem

not as simple as cutting out and putting on a new joint. i have a poolpilot system. last night, i was working on a guitar rebuild (good winter project when i don't have a pool open to consume my time) and i noticed a burning smell like plastic when i went to bed but couldn't find the source. go to my workshop this morning..it's still there. realize i left my solder iron on and it had melted/burned an area of my poolpilot manfold base which was sitting on my workbench. (i feel like such an idiot). i can try to locate just a manifold base but thought i must be able to find something to repair a hole as it were in the manifold. (it's a burn area about 2 inches by 2 inches and isn't all the way through so there is a surface to mount any repair on. i just to push my finger through it and no way so it's solid still but the wall is bubbled and will be thin i'm sure. so, the 2 solutions i've thought of are:

a) polyresin like used to repair boats. i have some on hand including fiberglass sheeting so i could do the repair that way.

b) then in searching i came across the idea of using jb weld. it's waterproof higher shear strength than pvc, will adhere to pvc and again, i have some on hand.

thoughts in which way to go? the jb weld would definitely be the easier solution to do.

added- ran into a product called plast-aid that seems to be an option as well. unfortunately, cannot find in canada and spadepot in the us seems to be the only place selling it there which is not a ringing endorsement, to me
    Last edited by tenax; 01-21-2007 at 11:22 AM.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: how to repair this pvc pipe problem

I have heard of people using PVC shavings with PVC glue to make a thick paste and so that it bonds to the hole but is much stronger than glue alone.

Use a grinder on some pipe to create the PVC dust and then use close to a 50:50 mix or maybe a bit more of the dust than glue. I have never done this myself but have heard many that have and it seems to make some sense.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

Default Re: how to repair this pvc pipe problem

hi mas..longtime, no chat..thanks for that..i stumbled across that as one solution post putting up this thread. seems that with winter in a good part of n america, this forum is pretty quiet right now. i went ahead and tried the jb weld on it..used some 150 paper to rough it up, applied 2 coats using a heat lamp to harden between..the only concern it appears some express with any epoxy type adhesive and pvc/abs is whether it will stick or not..others says if you sand it it will..i figured, either it's going to..or not..it appears to be stuck on but good to the pvc surface from what i can tell. i'm a big believer in jb weld for many a job. haven't tried it on pvc before so wish me luck

+ Reply to Thread