+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keeping up pool when it's rarely used

Question Keeping up pool when it's rarely used

We live in S. FL and have an IG pool and an electric pool heater. We don't run the heater all the time though, we plan for it. When it is not running and cool outside (though this has been an unusually warm winter) we keep the cover on the pool. I continue to test the water and keep the levels correct.

HOWEVER - I am STILL having a problem with keeping it clean and algae free when the cover is on for extended periods. I obviously can't run my barracuda with the cover on...today I took it off (it has been on for over a week) and the pool looks awful. Green and silty. I shocked it and I am running the barracuda and have no doubt it will be fine by tomorrow...b/c I have BTDT...BUT, I don't want to have to keep doing this! Does anyone know how I can best maintain the water between uses and between having the cover off or on?????

Default Re: Keeping up pool when it's rarely used

What kind of cover? You should be able to run a cleaner with most covers on.

Just a regular pool cover. If I kept it on the hose of the barracuda would simply push it around and mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by howbout View Post
    Just a regular pool cover. If I kept it on the hose of the barracuda would simply push it around and mess it up.
    A solar cover then. They make it hard to keep a pool clean because the skimmers don't work to remove surface debris before it gets waterlogged and sinks.

Probably two options:

Leave the cover off or get a cleaner that will work under the cover. However, green is from algae and is the result of insufficient chlorine for the CYA level in the water.

Thanks for the info. We removed the cover and I have shocked the pool and I'm running the barracuda. We realized the problem IS the cover - it doesn't allow the skimmer to work properly and doesn't allow sunlight in. So...we are going to leave it off unless we are heating the pool or trying to keep the heat in for a while. Thanks a lot!

+ Reply to Thread