+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spa spillover

ehorn is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst ehorn 0

Default Spa spillover

Just have a question as to how everyones spa spillover works? To me it seems like I have to run the spa jets to get the water to spill over but I know I've seen others have their spa going over without the jets running.

Currently I have three valves, one controlling the water to the pump, I have spa suction and the pool skimmer. The other two are on the outgoing side, a split for the spa jets and one to the pool return. The pool return then splits between the wall returns and the in-floor cleaning system.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Eric

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Wink Re: Spa spillover

Eric, spillover spas have to be fed by some water to overflow. Usually this involves shutting off the spa suction while keeping a return line open to the spa. Some spas have not only the jets, but another return (often looks just like a pool return) that can be used as a 'fill line' for when the spa equalizes to the pool level when the system is off (though the addition of a check valve in the system can counteract this).

One way or the other, there has to be more water entering the spa than is being removed by the pump for the spa to spillover, the ones you've seen that 'aparently' don't have the jets on either have a fill line or the flow to the jets is so small that you can't see the rippling or is insufficient to entrain air (they are going, but not bubbling).

HTH
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

ehorn is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst ehorn 0

Default Re: Spa spillover

Thanks, I didn't think I was crazy. I guess the only way for me to operate the spill over is to run the jets with the spa suction off or pause the in floor cleaning system when it's in the spa.

+ Reply to Thread