+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help! we may loose power from freezing rain

beary is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst beary 0

Default Help! we may loose power from freezing rain

Hi all,

I live in Oklahoma City and they say the sky is falling. We are forcasted to get a lot of freezing rain and loss of power is inevitablee. We didn't winterize our pool because we enjoy the fountains all winter long. But if the power does fail, what advice can you give of what I have to do to save my equipment.

I have called my pool guy and he says drain the filter and pump and I would be alright. I trust him, but is there any other words of wisdom from you folks.

Thanks for any advice and have a warm weekend.

Beary

Default Re: Help! we may loose power from freezing rain

How cold is it expected to get? Open anything you can to drain water out, put something like a bleach jug in the skimmers to absorb any pressure from ice. There should be a couple of drains on the pump and one on the filter. Might take the return fittings off to reduce risk there.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    How cold is it expected to get? Open anything you can to drain water out, put something like a bleach jug in the skimmers to absorb any pressure from ice. There should be a couple of drains on the pump and one on the filter. Might take the return fittings off to reduce risk there.
    Static temp lows in the 20s for about a week, but highs in the low 30s after Tuesday. Return fittings, where are those? He also hinted around at the pressure gauge on the filter.

I know there really should be a lot other things to worry about right now, but this seems to be the hardest problem to solve. Thanks for the suggestions.

Beary

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Doesn't sound like too much to worry about as the night temps are low but the days warm up. The pressure gauge will freeze fast and once frozen it's broken but cheap to replace, or, just unscrew it and if you need to run the pump get a pipe plug at a plumbing store. 1/4" NPT is the thread. The return fittings talked about are probably just the eyeball retaining rings. Water won't freeze that deep in the pool. I wouldn't worry. Pipes above ground will freeze first so just opening things like the pump basket should let water in the pipes drain to the level of the pool water which is usually below ground level. I use pool noodle foam in the skimmer for ice expansion. If you have a multi-port valve on your filter then put the handle between settings. That opens all ports and aids draining of the pipes. Remember that it takes time and low temps for a good solid freeze. At questionable times I put a plastic bottle of water out somewhere and that gives me some indication of the freeze condition.
    That's about all I can think of.
    Good Luck.
    Al
    PS: If power goes out what about things like freezers and refrigerators and the heating system? That's why I have a couple generators and a bunch of gasoline stashed away behind the poolhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos View Post
    I use pool noodle foam in the skimmer for ice expansion.
    I'm assuming this is only relevant in places where the surface of the pool freezes, and freezes thick?
    Tom Wood
    15K IG Plaster, Sand Filter, Polaris 180

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Yeah...I pack the skimmer as part of winterization but I always freeze solid. ehhh...except this Winter. Still no lasting ice and the ground isn't frozen.
    Al

DONNIE is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst DONNIE 0

I've never even been in my new pool yet. Todat I stare at the snow/sleet/ice surrounding it as icecicles form on my fountain. Luckily the weathermen were wrong and the freezing rain and loss of power haven't been an issue.

Donnie (also in the OKC area)
    9000 Gallon Fiberglass IG / Sta-Rite pump,cartridge filter & heater / PoolPilot Dig 220-36 SWG / Testing w/K2006

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIE View Post
    I've never even been in my new pool yet. Todat I stare at the snow/sleet/ice surrounding it as icecicles form on my fountain. Luckily the weathermen were wrong and the freezing rain and loss of power haven't been an issue.

Donnie (also in the OKC area)
    Yes, it seems were are north of the bad stuff by 50 miles. I will try and get a picture if I can. All is well and thanks for the really good advice. THere is another storm predicted next weekend, os this is very good imformation.

Beary

Edmond OK

+ Reply to Thread