Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Above Ground pool light

Default Above Ground pool light

Any suggestions? I have power run to the pool, and there are a lot of nights that the sodium halide above the garage is too much light for the pool. I googled around a bunch, and checked the cheap internet pool store (Ebay..) and there must be 2 dozen types.

I am looking for something to make it possible to swim at night, not a colored fixture... IM also hoping for "Ease of install" because I already have enough major projects going on in my life.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Above Ground pool light

We've got the nitelighter (20-watt) on our 18' AG pool and have been satisfied with it. All we had to do to install is pop one of the top rails up and hook it on top of the wall. It does have to be taken off during the winter. We have ours hooked up on an outdoor remote control so it can be turned off or on from in the house.
    Karen
    18' AG

gwrace1 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst gwrace1 0

I've got two on our AGP. The Aqualuminator and Nitelighter. The AL does a decent job of lighting up our 33' round pool. It also acts as a pool return and came with a nice fountain attachment. I installed a three way valve so I can adjust the flow between the two pool returns.

The Nitelighter installs under the top seat of the pool and comes with a standard electrical plug. We use it only on occasion. The cord tends to get in the way of lawn mowing and trimming.

My only problem with the luminator was the non standard plumbing fitting they use. They make you buy a "Hard Plumbing Adapter" if you intend to hard plumb your returns with rigid PVC pipe. The only place I could find it was online and it cost $10 dollars to get it delivered. It's a .25 part.

If you intend to install it on a permanent pool it does need to be wired to code. Our is wired thru conduit to a sub-panel in our storage shed. Otherwise it just comes with a cord for plugging into any outlet.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

There are all sorts. I like the kind where you install the lens, which becomes part of the pool wall and is sealed, and the lamp is behind it, easily removable for servicing, winter, or summer.

I also STRONGLY recommend that only 12 volt lighting be used. The risk of electrocution in the event of a leak or short is far greatly reduced.

Whatever kind of lighting you use (short of solar charged batteries) should ONLY be on a ground-faulted circuit.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by gwrace1
    I've got two on our AGP. The Aqualuminator and Nitelighter. The AL does a decent job of lighting up our 33' round pool. It also acts as a pool return and came with a nice fountain attachment. I installed a three way valve so I can adjust the flow between the two pool returns.
    I have a return line vacuum, so either I buy the Aqualuminator and the attachement, or I punch a new hole. Also, I have power run to the pump motor, so I was going to just tie into that line. I'm pretty decent at wiring, but I don't know what specfically has to be done to wire these up. Is it just a matter of running through conduit?

As was mentioned above, please only us a 12-volt light in your pool. There are many safety issues involved with a pool light. Also, having power at the pool equipment and having enough power at the pool equipment are two different issues. Make sure that the circuit you plan on using can handle both the light-transformer and the pool filter-pump.

Quote Originally Posted by thepoolman1
    As was mentioned above, please only us a 12-volt light in your pool. There are many safety issues involved with a pool light. Also, having power at the pool equipment and having enough power at the pool equipment are two different issues. Make sure that the circuit you plan on using can handle both the light-transformer and the pool filter-pump.
    I should have been more specific. I have two runs of outdoor rated romex, buried in conduit, run to a riser where I plug in the pump. One run is for the pump, one is for two other 60 watt outdoor lights. I am assuming I can just run the 12v transformer from the run for the lights... Is that a valid assumption? The Aqualuminator data sheet doesnt list the current draw of the transformer, which surprises me...

anyone used the new Aqua Luminator color (LED) light. are they bright?
    Thanks,

According to the NEC 680, a pool light MUST be on a dedicated circuit, not on the pump circuit, and not on an auxiliary circuit.

I have an ABG, and I have three GFI breakered circuits for the pool. One for the pump, one for my Aqualuminator (which we love), and one for the auxiliary outlet and area lighting circuit.

Do NOT plug in your Aqualuminator or other pool lighting into your auxiliary circuit.

More info can be found in this thread.

Ok, i got the nitelighter light but i think i need two it only really lights up one end of the pool. I think i'm going to move it tonight to the middle of the wall and see how it looks there. too bad they don't make any lights higher than 50watts for above ground pools.
    Last edited by jimmyzshack; 07-12-2006 at 07:47 AM.

Closed Thread