+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Salt in a Non-Salt Water pool

Default Salt in a Non-Salt Water pool

Has anyone tried adding salt to a non-saltwater generator pool? I gave it a whirl last year and was wondering if my results were the same as anyone else. I wont devulge my findings at this point in fear of tainting the responses(Ha Ha!).

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Default Re: Salt in a Non-Salt Water pool

There were several threads on this on the "old forum" and the near unanimous conclusion was that it wouldn't hurt a thing and that you'd get some of the benefits of an SWG (the "feel" of the water, less eye stinging, better for hair/skin, etc.). The benefits you won't get are obviously the convenience of a hands-off Cl source and steadier Cl levels.

I'm probably going to go this route myself but have been waiting until I decide whether to do a high-acid "start-up" on my pool to reduce the blotchiness of the plaster. Don't want to do too much chemistry at once.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by wollypog6
    Has anyone tried adding salt to a non-saltwater generator pool?
    Fresh (ie, non-saline) water is irritating to the eyes, due to the difference in osmiotic pressure between the water and the fluids in the eye. That's why there is such stuff as saline eye wash. Adding appropriate amounts of salt will reduce eye irritation, and to a lesser degree, skin irritation. But, what some people consider soothing and relaxing, others consider slimey and 'used'.

Personally, I love swimming in the ocean, and would rather swim there, than anywhere else.

Ben

I was one of the ones last year who added the salt to my pool. We LOVE the difference. It is definately easier on the eyes. (Even my extremely whiney son will now swim without a mask) I also have noticed that my skin (which is usually dry all summer) was noticably softer and not so dry without using any lotion. We can only slightly taste the salt. I will definately keep it in mine from now on, and if I had more than an 18' AG, I would get a SWG.

Sooooo, did my results match up to yours.
    Karen
    18' AG

leejp is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst leejp 0

So what's the formula? I assume one just dissolves bags of water softner salt. How much does one add?

And Ben... I have a test kit on order. I'd like to change it to the salt kit so I have the option to do this and monitor the salt levels.
    26,000 Vynil Liner L Inground
    Hayward 1HP Superpump + Hayward Pro Grid 4800 DE Filter
    Poolvergnuegen thepoolcleaner Pressure Side Cleaner
    Loop-Loc Mesh cover

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc
    Personally, I love swimming in the ocean, and would rather swim there, than anywhere else.
    Ben
    Especially when the ocean I'm swimming in is splashing on St. Thomas, St. Martin, Antigua, Martinique, Barbados, Curacao, Bora Bora, Maui.....
    Carl

Hey I never thouight of this!

Ben can you change my order as well to include a salt water test?

Beside it will get me one step closer to getting a SWG!

So is there any disadvantage to it beside some people thinking the water is slimy? I understand if it gets to high that is bad.

I too have added small amounts of salt to my non SWG in ground fiberglass pool. I plan to add more this year. I skimped a little last year due to the fact that I didn't have a way of testing and had to rely on the pool shop. I only managed to get it up to 1200 or so. I really didn't notice a difference that I could contribute to the salt however, this year I have noticed a little bit of dry skin and a very small amount of the burning eyes. Did a 40% +/-water change before opening (CYA) so I don't know what the salt level is now but I'm guessing it's in the 700 range. I'll probably try to get it up in the 2000 range at the end of the month. OK wallypog6, fes up!
    Dave

ValAZ is offline ** No working email address ** ValAZ 0

Default Where do you add it?

Skimmer?

This sounds interesting.

Okay folks, looks like everyone else had the same results and impressions as I did. I absolutely loved the results I got with a good dose of salt. The 2 most noticeable changes were the "feel" of the water on your skin and the way that the water had absolutely no affect on our eyes.I added about 250lbs of water softener salt to an 18X36 inground sports pool. I think I may have gone a little heavy on the salt and wasnt real crazy about the taste, but I am definitely adding "some" salt this year!

+ Reply to Thread