+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3 Large Holes

Default 3 Large Holes

I was reading around on the forums on how to fix a whole in an above-ground pool liner, but am wondering how large the holes can be to make this still do-able. We have three good-sized holes from something blowing into the pool during 70 mph winds a few months ago. They range from 3-4" to 8" or so, guestimating. It's dirt under the holes. We had the pool drained with the exception of maybe a foot of water which all drained out through those holes as well. I've read Boxer Adhesive is the way to go, and had planned on cutting a good sized piece of vinyl, patching it, then another larger one over that. Maybe even one long piece since it's in the same general area?

We just bought this house with the pool last year and you guys helped me out so much getting the swamp water swimable last summer, thanks!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Cool Re: 3 Large Holes

Pam, as this is my first time bumping into you - welcome to the forum!!

A couple of quick points - patch the liner as soon as possible, it doesn't 'like' sitting empty and may try to wrinkle when refilled -- if the water exiting through the holes has washed out the bottom, fill it back in and smooth it out before patching.

With larger holes, I usually recommend putting 2 patches on for insurance (like you were talking about). I usually recommend that the first patch be ~ 1/2" larger than the hole (all around), but would increase the overlap for a larger hole. Be sure to round off the patches. I would apply the first patch to each hole separately but, if they were close enough, I'd make the second patch big enough to cover a couple or all of them. As you said you've read some of the tips here on patching liners - I assume that you've seen some of my advice before but I'll edit this a few minutes after I post it to provide you with some links to what I've advised in the past. Though it should be in the linked info- I use a wallpaper 'seam roller' to really seal the patch (roll it from inside to out, then around the edge to help insure a good seal).

Though patches can be applied to almost any sized hole, they don't seem to have the 'staying power' on larger holes (I've put on patches 7+' x 3+' - but they only had to hold for a few weeks while we ordered and received the replacement liner). You may want to think about saving up for a new liner

I wish you luck with your pool and if you need any further help- simply ask I'll go get those links - Waste

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=3932 http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=5616
    {not quite all I was looking for, but maybe I'm remembering stuff from before the forum crashed - in any event, I hope you can get some useful info from these - again welcome to the forum!!}
    Last edited by waste; 12-26-2006 at 03:55 PM. Reason: add links
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: 3 Large Holes

The Boxer #100 adhesive is a slow acting adhesive and should be used where there is significant time between gooping the patch and applying it. During that time, quick acting adhesives will curl the patch to the point where it cannot be placed well. Not sure what would work best in your situation because you do have a large hole to patch but you're working right there and can place a patch easily and fast. As waste said though, consider a new liner as the permanent fix. Something else to consider is the condition of the liner. If it's older then it may be brittle and prone to puncturing or tearing.
    Al

Thank you so much! I will get down there today and see exactly how big it is, whether it's viable to patch. You brought up something, though, that I wanted to also ask about now. You mention liners should have water in them in winter too? I had drained it in the fall. Should I fill it back up and leave water in it then? How do you keep it from getting nasty?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You should never drain a liner pool. Draining it can cause it to become brittle. You may have already ruined your liner if you have drained it. Should you go ahead and refill it now? I don't know if it will matter at this point. My guess is that your liner is probably shot, but somebody else may have a different opinion.

As far as how to keep it from getting nasty over the winter -- if you close it properly and adjust your chemicals before you close it, the water will stay clear over the winter. You may get some debris in it, but that is easily cleaned up in the spring.

UGH! *Sigh* Well between the holes and draining it, looks like I'm buying a new liner. Is there any way too tell if it's too brittle (feel or something?) Also, can anyone recommend somewhere to get a decent-priced liner? Thank you!

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Took a bit to find this thread. You may be interested. Some things that were discovered the hard way.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=4018&

Al

I'm going to give it a shot repairing the holes before purchasing a new liner. Does anyone know where I can find a patch large enough and what type of glue should I use then to put it on? All of the repair kits have just small little pieces of vinyl. Thanks!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Lightbulb Re: 3 Large Holes

Pam, if you have a pool place near you that installs liners, they should have the size you need. It will either be from the 'samples' of the liner patterns they sell or from a liner that they recieved which was either cut wrong, the wrong pattern or damaged in shipping (the place we get ours from doesn't want us to ship back defective liners, but other manufacturers may).
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

nater is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher nater 0

Hey Pam,
    You may want to check what your home owners insurance covers. My parents had a large tree limb blown into the pool, and I believe insurance covered replacement (at least some high % of it). Just a thought before you lay down the cash on a new liner.
    Nater
    16x32 Vinyl IG, 20,000 gal, Autopilot DIG-220 w/60 series cell, Dolphin Diagnostic Pool Boy

+ Reply to Thread