+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pool leak in light niche

Default pool leak in light niche

Hello,

Luke the pool pro in Atlanta. I have a client with a negetive edge pool. In his trough there is a spa light. When the trough is filled to the top of the coping, water goes down the light niche and out at the junction box. Well its actually a Jandy Aqualink box. Any ideas on how I can stop the leaking?
    Luke Norris President/CEO

Luke Pool Service
    Tucker, GA
    www.lukepools.com

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Lightbulb Re: pool leak in light niche

Luke, you were a busy boy last night (i just posted a partial answer to your 'air bubble question')!
    Unlike your other question, this one is easy! If you know that the water is evacuating via the light niche, go to the local hardware store, Homedepot, Lowes, etc., and get some 2 part epoxy (make sure that it will setup underwater), pull the light out, mix up some of the epoxy and liberally apply it to the conduit hole. Make sure that you pack it in ~1/2" and use a wet finger to smooth it into all areas. Then leave the light out overnight (this stuff takes about 12 hours to harden), come back the next day and replace the light.
    Sounds like the builder (I assume it wasn't you, as you do service) didn't have enough of a clue to install the junction box (Jandy Aqualink) higher!! than the water level Reguardless, this will fix the problem.

If you ever need more help, contact me or post here and I'll help as I can (we're 'brothers in pool service' and we couldn't possibly have a 'conflict of interest' - given the multiple states between our areas {unless you sometimes come up to Ct, in which case, *#@#%^$ you! })
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Waterworks is offline In the pool biz Thread Analyst Waterworks 0

Default Re: pool leak in light niche

Another method would be to create a hartford loop with the light conduit. You just have to splice in a new piece of conduit that loops up above the highest elevation that water could get to and then bring the loop back down and re-install it in the j-box. Waste's is certainly the easier method, but if that epoxy ever failed you would have the same problem again.

Brad
    www.waterworkspools.com

If the leak is down the conduit you can go to an auto supply store and buy a box of window sealing strip ribbon. Pack the ribbon around the light cord and the bonding wire and stuff in to the conduit; do this a couple of times and this will stop the water from going into the conduit. This method works best because the plug stays flexable and you will not need to chip it out when you replace the light.

Hope this helps

My Pool School CD says to use some expanding foam (you can get from Home Depot) and squirt into conduit. I believe the tip/article said you can even squirt it in underwater but I'm not 100% sure on this. The article said it will water proof/seal the conduit and you can still pull the cord through the hardened foam later if you need to replace the light.

I'd step away from that repair unless your willing to do it properly.
    NEVER terminate a lamp tail below water level in a JB and especially a PC.
    THIS INSTALL IS WAY BAD and YOUR promoting it by adding pool putty or silicone in the lamp conduit.
    I'd remove the tail from the PC and extend it to a new JB higher than the water level, then run a switch leg back to the PC. This will be much easier than raising the level of the PC.

just my .02

See ya,
    Kelly

+ Reply to Thread