+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pool Temperature Monitoring

Default Pool Temperature Monitoring

I need to monitor IG pool water temperature. where is the best location for sensor installation? I was thinking the filter location or skimmer may be superior to the pool itself. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Pool Temperature Monitoring

Depends on why you want to monitor. If you're interested in freeze protection then the air temp would be my choice. If you're just interested in water temp then a)--if the water is circulating then the skimmer or b)--the pool itself a foot or so below the surface. Keep in mind the bigger the mass of any substance the longer it takes to change temperature.
    Al

Thanks. If I go the "in the pool" route any ideas how I would go about mounting wire/temperature sensor to pool liner? thanks

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Unfortunately I don't any good ideas for a mount. Perhaps some mount utilizing a return jet eyeball retainer to hold it where you want it or maybe mounting to the skimmer faceplate somehow. You could also put a dime sized vinyl patch over the wire to hold it against the liner. I don't need to monitor my temp constantly and when I do I just have a thermocouple taped to the end of a 1/2" PVC pipe a couple feet long and stick it where I want it. If the sensor is an exposed thermocouple junction you should coat it with silicone seal to prevent the chlorine from attacking the wires. Best I can suggest.
    Al

fcfrey is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst fcfrey 0

I have a "K" type thermocouple mounted in the discharge of my circulating pump. The purpose gives the solar controller a continuous temperature reading of the pool water. Another thermocouple reads air/solar heat potential to feed the controller a delta T (temperature differential) to determine whether to open the valve to the solar system (there is also setpoint logic involved).

The installation of the thermocouple was simply drilling a 5/16 inch hole and securing the device with a SS worm gear clamp with an "O" ring seal.

The thermocouple is available from Pentair (part # TS-5T).

See the silver band right above pump head.

Last edited by fcfrey; 11-26-2006 at 08:14 PM. Reason: add link

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Mine is installed after the filter but in the same manner as fcfrey. I suspect the PB installed it after the filter so that the thermocouple will not collect dirt as quickly as before the filter.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Thanks for responses. This is very helpful. I'm just concerned about drilling into PVC causing a leak. No problems with O ring leaking??

For plugging the drilled hole you can use a mixture of PVC cement and ground up PVC pipe to make a thick slurry. Squish it into the hole and let it set. I've used a rasp file to grind pipe or for finer stuff use a saw or a finer file.
    Al

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by CJDahl View Post
    Thanks for responses. This is very helpful. I'm just concerned about drilling into PVC causing a leak. No problems with O ring leaking??
    There should be a gasket or o-ring supplied with the thermocouple which will seal the gap between the pipe and thermocouple. And no, it should not leak if installed properly with the hose clamp.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

My sensor has been installed in the supply pipe before the filter for five years now, with no leaking.

+ Reply to Thread