+ Reply to Thread

Thread: salamanders Help!

Default salamanders Help!

We have hundreds of salamanders (I think that is what they are) in our pool now.. We had them in the spring before we swam, and they are back again now. does anyone know what to do about them? I am in Birmingham AL and keep my pool open yearound. Help!

fcfrey is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst fcfrey 0

Default Re: salamanders Help!

Wish you had a picture of them but I would bet they are probably tadpoles (baby frogs). They usually hatch out by the hundreds from a jelly like mass of eggs near the edge.

Shocking would do them in but I would be more inclined to try to net them into a bucket of water and take them to a pond or creek somewhere. Either way --- dead or alive you need to get them out of your pool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadpole
    Last edited by fcfrey; 11-08-2006 at 07:24 PM. Reason: add link

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Probably really are salamanders. The pic of one in wikipedia looks similar to the ones I find in my pool without the color. Mine are a plain gray. Long, slender, with a couple tiny feet up front and a couple more in the rear. at least that's what I think mine are. As for getting rid of them, I just let them die and suck them up with the vacuum. Not that many.
    Al

I am pretty sure they are salamanders, not tadpoles. Where do they come from, and why? Would it help to change a chemical balance? Keep the chlorine high? or do we just have to live withit in the cold weather? At least we aren't swimming!!! Surely someone has overcome this problem. there are hundreds of them. If I run the polaris, I have to clean it out each day, and it still doesn't get them all.

Quote Originally Posted by carolynn View Post
    We have hundreds of salamanders (I think that is what they are) in our pool now.. We had them in the spring before we swam, and they are back again now. does anyone know what to do about them? I am in Birmingham AL and keep my pool open yearound. Help!
    I'd suggest scooping them up with a net and letting them go outside your property line. Another suggestion is to call animal control.

I'd certainly do what I could to keep from killing them.

bhelme is offline ** No working email address ** bhelme 0

Salamanders get in your pool because they like water. Has it rained before they get in? That's how it works at our house. Just scoop 'em, 'cause animal control will laugh at you! They do no harm, but if you leave them in they will add a ton of contaminants which will require work on your part to eliminate (ie lots and lots of chlorine). It doesn't matter what the water chemistry is, they'll get in - they just won't last long.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Lightbulb Re: salamanders Help!

I had meant to post to this right after Thanksgiving. This is because over the course of the weekend at my brother's house, we took the kids to the nature center - usually not a big thrill for me, but with daughter and nephews, it was pretty cool.
    The point of this is that one of the displays was on salimanders, I recognised the 2 I see in pools here in Ct - little ~beige w/ red stripe and the larger blue/ black yellow spotted ones (sorry, I didn't write down the latin names). What I picked up from the accompanying info was these critters (salimanders in general) tend to lay their eggs in 'vernal pools' (the real reason for the delay in posting is that I couldn't figure out how to spell 'vernal' - I thought there was another vowel betwixt the 'r' and 'n' ). The vernal pools are the result of winter thaw and spring rains forming pools in low lying areas which dry up as the summer progresses. As they are seasonal or temporary pools, no fish can inhabit them (fish seem to have a fondness for feeding upon salimander eggs and/ or baby salimanders), so salimanders take up residence in these pools in the spring, propogate like bunnies and they and their chilluns move on to wetter areas when the pool dries up, ie - your pool.
    From my experience with these guys, they're fairly harmless -I've never been able goad one into attacking me . However, you'd probably be happier without them in your pool, and they'd probably be happier without all that chlorine. I'd do as Birddog said and scoop them out, they're just trying to get by in this world as are we, but they might just return.

I'm going to assume that you live near to an area which will support a vernal pool (woods, etc), if you can figure out which direction they are comming from, you might be able to stop them. If it's feasible, could you make a small 'pond' for them to occupy instead of your pool? You'd either want some sort of circulation or chlorine in there to keep it from becomming a breeding ground for mosquitos (et al), but I don't think it'd be a major money investment - you could even make a nice little waterfall/ basin to work into your landscaping -- a very small pump to run the waterfall (moving water inhibits mosquitos), some copper algicide (not something for swimming pools, but very nice for 'natural' water situations) and perhaps a couple of tablespoons of di-chlor every other week (the chlorine and cya wouldn't be much - the salimanders don't seem to mind it, but mosquitos do). This is just a 'thought experiment' on my part, but it seems, at first glance, to be an environmentally friendly (your pool isn't!) answer to the salimander problem - heck, you might even be able to be subsidised by the local Audobon/ nature center.

Just wanted to share this with you (all). I did not include a lot of what I was going to originally (design, poential problebs, etc), in order to keep this post '~fairly short', if anyone has more to say about this, there may be an upcomming market for 'ecofriendly' swimming pool supliments.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread