+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ehorn's pool build

ehorn is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst ehorn 0

Default Re: ehorn's pool build

I think it's only going to take another couple weeks to finish. We have only one major thing that might prevent that, I measured the shallow end and it seems like it's 6" too deep. Might not sound like much but my wife would be under water only 5' from the edge of the pool. Also it won't pass code, code says that the shallow end shall be no more than 3'6" deep and slope at no more tan going down 1' for every 7' out.

The superintendant will be measuring the pool next week which is what will be holding up the deck layout because they dont' want to have to shoot more gunite over new deck.

Ok thats a long answer but we'll be done before xmas. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

We got some good news today, the depth of the pool is correct so I guess it was just my imagination but I had measured it as too deep. They did go ahead and lay out the deck but prior to us actually confirming that the plan was correct. The sales guy will be out Thursday morning to review the plans and make changes. It is starting to come together fast and the pool should be done in a week or two once the deck is poured which could be Friday or Monday.

in the last pic of your pump/filter equipment I see that they painted the PVC. I've been wanting to paint mine to protect it from the sun. Can you find out if they used a special paint or home depot krylon..
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

Socal_biker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    in the last pic of your pump/filter equipment I see that they painted the PVC. I've been wanting to paint mine to protect it from the sun. Can you find out if they used a special paint or home depot krylon..
    For myself, I just used Krylon spray paint for plastics from Home Depot.

I asked the pool builder and he said the same, just some plastic spray paint would work. Most plumbers carry a brown or some sort of neutral for the yard. He also recommended Krylon for Plastics.

Be sure to paint it soon, PVC will grey and become brittle pretty quickly. It can take as short as 3 - 6 months depending on where you live.

Eric

Okay here are some pictures of yesterday. A crew came out and layed out the deck according to what we wanted after we had a discussion with the sales guy. We had wanted to add more of the deck on the deep end side of the pool and just a small strip the rest of the way around. I'm thinking we might do some flag stone between the deck and the house, but that will happen more when we start landscaping.

They are coming to pour the deck sometime today so I'll have pictures of that this weekend. This weekend I'll also be getting everything ready for final inspection so they can do the pebble tec finish and fill the pool next week (keep fingers crossed!!!).

Looking great. What type of decking did you decide to go with? Are there any requirements in your area for reinforcement on the deck? Seems strange that they are ready to pour but have not stretched out any rebar for the deck. I wish you luck in meeting your New Year deadline. Keep the pics coming.

Okay well the desk was done yesterday, I wasn't expecting them to pour the concrete and do the kool deck all at the same time so I was pleasently surprised when I came home to see it finished. I was talking with a neighbor of mine who said he also didn't have any rebar in his slab. After talking with the builder they said they now put kevlar strands in the concrete mix which holds it together. This is unconfirmed if that is true or not and not sure if they used that on my deck.

One more:

Just an update on our pool... final inspection was today and the inspector caught a couple of minor things.

1. Double gate didn't have a stop for the down rod to lock it in the down position. (I put in two L brackets and even had a hole to put a pad lock so nobody can open the down rod... ha we'll see how he likes that!)

2. Door alarms needs to be screwed into place, I had used double sticky tape, which was included with the kit. (Well if they sell kits that meet code why include the tape if you can't use it?!)

3. One window had it's latches too low so need a way to prevent it from opening more than 4". (Will install a screw in the track for this)

So we are up for the inspector to come out tomorrow now to re-inspect the changes. After that they can finish the pool - Carribean Blue pebble tec. Tomorrow the plumbers should show up to install the in-floor cleaning system heads and other plumbing fixtures.

Wish us luck, we're trying to get pebble tec before the weekend so the pool will be filled for xmas!

Oh almost forgot, a crew was out today to clean out the pool and spa. Took them a while to get all the junk out from all the messy work. This included removing the dirt and morter that had built up from installing the deck and the rock features. The pool looks all clean now and is begging for the pebble tec.
    Last edited by ehorn; 12-18-2006 at 05:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread