+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pool Timers - I need to replace

Default Pool Timers - I need to replace

Does anyone have any experience with either the TightWatt Digital Pool Timer

http://www.tightwatt.com/

Or the Digital/Programmable Intermatic Timer
    http://www.inyopools.com/Products/02400001004221.htm

I have a dual timer set up, one for the filter and one for the cleaner. The Filter timer will not turn on with the metal "on" flags anymore and when I turn it on manually, the metal "off" flag trips it half way. Not sure if I can take it apart and fix it. These programable digital timers have my interest.

Any info would be appreciated.

Tom

Default Re: Pool Timers - I need to replace

Sounds like you have an Intermatic mechanical timer.
    If I were you, I would save a bunch of money and go to Lowes and just buy another pair of mechanical timers. They're only $40 each. Here's the Lowes description: Intermatic 24 Hour Water Heater Timer, 250 Volt, Item #: 26399, Model: WH40-6-250V. I replaced mine last year. I didn't have to replace the box, I used my existing metal box and just used the timer mechanism out of the new timer. Easy!! The digital ones you are considering seem to cost about $150 each. For a timer - Ouch!
    40'x28' I/G L-shaped, vinyl liner pool, with an estimated 40,000 gallons of water.
    Been using BBB for over a year! Excellent results!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Pool Timers - I need to replace

tc, welcome to the forum!1 If you remove the 'on' pin, is the tab still there? A cheep fix may be to just replace the 'on/ off' pins/ tabs.
    No clue about the electric ones (I'd probably electrocute myself trying to set one ) But it does sound like the 'flags' have deteriorated, so that they no longer trip the on/ off switches.
    Good luck on this, if you need any more help, never hesitate to ask
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Thanks for the suggestions. Yea, the digital ones are expensive but sounds like they would replace both timers as they seem to control two or even three items. Still would be twice what was posted about Lowes.

I have tried the on off flags from the booster pump, still did not work. I will go to lowes and see what they got.

Thanks again,

Tom

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Just something to consider about any electronic device, especially ones that are on an unfused, high current line. Lightening. Circuit breakers don't count as they are too slow acting. Unless you get a direct hit, the simple and cheaper mechanical timers are pretty immune. Manufacturers do consider power line spikes to varying degrees, but in any case, spikes and electronics don't get along well together. Another issue is wide temperature swings on electronic components if they are so exposed. I know they have a warranty but that is probably one year at most and anything after that, you eat it. Just my opinion.
    Al

Good point. Had not thought about that. I can see the benefits of the mechanical timers: Cheaper, Robust to power flucuations etc, longevity.

The electronic versions only have one real benefit: Progammability.

Thanks for your input. I was hoping that someone that actually has used the electronic timers would have something to say, but I guess the lack of people that have used them on this forum makes a statement itself.

Tom

Cool Re: Pool Timers - I need to replace

Quote Originally Posted by tclemmer View Post
    Good point. Had not thought about that. I can see the benefits of the mechanical timers: Cheaper, Robust to power flucuations etc, longevity.

The electronic versions only have one real benefit: Progammability.

Thanks for your input. I was hoping that someone that actually has used the electronic timers would have something to say, but I guess the lack of people that have used them on this forum makes a statement itself.

Tom
    I sell the tightwatt timers. Its a convenience thing. The good old Intermatics are fine too. Have you considered upgraded to automation with a wireless remote?
    -Jeremy

I fix broken pool equipment

Florida Leisure Pool & Spa
    www.FLLeisure.com
    Gainesville, FL

Member APSP
    Member FSPA
    APSP Tech I

I read some about the x10 home automation stuff but have not looked into any wireless stuff.

I think I am going to save money and just look into a replacement mechanical timer.

Thanks anyway

Tom

Cool Re: Pool Timers - I need to replace

I'm a big fan of the automation by Pentair. Easy to setup and easy to use.

I also understand that its a considerable investment. Thats why I sell so many of the universal replacement timer mechanisms for the intermatics.

Its a fairly simple 20 minute replacement. You'll want to throw the circuit breaker for the pool equipment first. Be sure you've got a good solid ground on your timer, and that you get the plastic wire gaurd back on.
    -Jeremy

I fix broken pool equipment

Florida Leisure Pool & Spa
    www.FLLeisure.com
    Gainesville, FL

Member APSP
    Member FSPA
    APSP Tech I

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

Another good think about mechanical timers is if the power goes out for any length of time they don't care and when the power does come back on they will just pick up where they left off. The time might be a few hours off of the correct time but the pumps will still turn on. I don't know what kind of backup the digital has.

+ Reply to Thread