Closed Thread

Thread: A few odd pool closing questions....

Default A few odd pool closing questions....

This is my first winter with my my IG pool (20,000g) and I had it professionally closed. I still have a couple of questions:

1. When the ladder and step rails are taken out, they leave holes in the concrete. Should these be plugged?? They actually appear to have water in them (maybe from rain). I don't recall them being plugged before.

2. Should the in/out holes on the filter (sand) be plugged or capped (maybe with plastic and duct tape or an elastic of some sort? I remember when I bought the house, the whole filter was covered with a large garbage bag...I expect I'll do the same thing.

3. Where the valves connect to the pump (pump is now indoors) - should that hole be capped as well. I would think to prevent animals or crud getting in there.

Thanks for the advisein advance.
    REV

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: A few odd pool closing questions....

Quote Originally Posted by revhendrix View Post
    This is my first winter with my my IG pool (20,000g) and I had it professionally closed. I still have a couple of questions:

1. When the ladder and step rails are taken out, they leave holes in the concrete. Should these be plugged?? They actually appear to have water in them (maybe from rain). I don't recall them being plugged before.
    I like to cover them--as my pool mounts to a different kind of deck, instead of holes there are fittings. But I dry the insides out and cover them with rubber, waterproof tape, available at H/D in the electrical section.

2. Should the in/out holes on the filter (sand) be plugged or capped (maybe with plastic and duct tape or an elastic of some sort? I remember when I bought the house, the whole filter was covered with a large garbage bag...I expect I'll do the same thing.
    I leave the lower drain open so any water can drain. I cover it with plastic too.

3. Where the valves connect to the pump (pump is now indoors) - should that hole be capped as well. I would think to prevent animals or crud getting in there.
    Since the valves are ball valves, I split them and and quick connects, remove the o-rings, lube them with teflon, and put each in a zip-lock marked with an ID. I used to cover the remaining fittings but I don't bother--it's an A/G so there's at most 3" --animals aren't attracted. If you have longer runs, it's your call.

I like to get everything inside that I can.

Thanks for the advisein advance.
    REV
    Hope it helps!
    Carl

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

On the rail/ladder holes I don't think it matters. The water will freeze but has room to expand. In the past I have shoved a piece of eccofoam (pool noodle foam) in the hole. I also wouldn't use duct tape directly on pipe ends etc because over the Winter it will stick and can be a dog to clean off the goo in the Spring. I'd tape or tie a plastic bag or plastic sheet over pipe ends and other holes so critters won't find a home.
    Al

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Al's right about duct tape. I ALWAYS put plastic between it and what I'm covering. The rubber waterproof tape, tho, doesn't leave a residue.
    Carl

Closed Thread