+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Robotic cleaner owners - how often?

Default Robotic cleaner owners - how often?

On average, how many times a week do you run your robotic cleaner?
    Pool owner - contract signed 21Aug2006; HOA approval granted; complete - existing patio demolition; excavation; rebar; embedded plumbing; gunite; plumbing; electrical; tile and coping; decking; plaster; pool fill; acid start-up; regular start-up; pool school; gas meter upgrade; additional of salt; PDA remote programming.

fcfrey is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst fcfrey 0

Default Re: Robotic cleaner owners - how often?

During the heart of the swimming season we run the Aquabot almost every day. Otherwise every day or two. Now --- once a week. The T-4 does the whole pool in about an hour, two at the most (16X40X25 true ell). Very fast --- throw it in and forget about it.

Unlike the Dolphin that had to be baby sat constantly because it got stuck in every corner and return fitting.

LOVE THE AQUABOT T-4

Do you have a particular problem with leaves and other debris getting in the pool?

Do you have overhanging trees?
    Pool owner - contract signed 21Aug2006; HOA approval granted; complete - existing patio demolition; excavation; rebar; embedded plumbing; gunite; plumbing; electrical; tile and coping; decking; plaster; pool fill; acid start-up; regular start-up; pool school; gas meter upgrade; additional of salt; PDA remote programming.

Socal_biker Guest

My suction pool cleaner stays plugged into it's dedicated line, unless someone is swimming. I have trees nearby the pool. It runs about 4 hours a day, when the pump is running.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I run the robot about once a week--I don't have overhanging trees. I have a Blue Diamond but I have to pull out the ladder to use or it gets stuck under it. That is very fast and the foam rollers don't seem to damage my liner.

I also have a Dolphin Dynamic. It's the second one--they couldn't fix the first which was less than 2 years old. The Dolphin is much slower than the B/D but when it works (and so far the new one always does), it works extremely well--and doesn't get stuck under the ladder so it can stay in.

Don't believe the hype. As good as the B/D is, it's designed primarily for rectangular pools--the remote is supposed to be how you handle other shapes. The Dolphin's remote allows you to set the shape.

But if you did into the threads you'll see stories and histories some of us have had--and you'll see how they ended up replacing my Dolphin.

Still, the Blue Diamond is, for my pool (a rectangle) generally a better unit even with the inconvenience of pulling out the ladder.
    Carl

Thanks, everyone.

I, too, have a rectangle.

I'm going to get a Pool Buster and either the Blue Diamond or the Blue Pearl. I'm hoping I can get away with the Blue Pearl - my pool is fairly small (11'x30').

fcfrey is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst fcfrey 0

No trees for several hundred yards but the wind always blows and my pool seems to be a magnet for the ones that go airborne.

I had a dolphin which needed constant attention --- like a spoiled little brat, you couldn't turn your back because it got stuck and actually wore the color off the liner in spots.

The Aquabot T-4 solved all the problems and has been super reliable. Aquabot has also been responsive to all my inquiries and has even supplied some parts free that they thought might be causing a symptom of my inquiry.

The T-4 was expensive but I would recommend it. Buy once --- it's cheaper in the long run.

west1745 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst west1745 0

I have a Dolphin Diagnostic pro and I run it every couple weeks - it does a great job. We do have trees that overhang so we have experienced a lot of leaves/dirt in the pool. Sometimes I can brush stuff to the deep end but otherwise I have to put in the Dolphin. Try to use it "judiciously" after reading that they can wear out from Carl D's saga.

So far so good with us.

One thing I have done is to put a panty hose liner on the skimmer - that seems to help keep the little leaves and debris out of the main paper filter cartridge - which is a huge pain to hose off when it gets full of stuff.

Am interested to hear from Carl D and others how they like their pool buster - that seems to make a lot of sense.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I've been a BIG fan of the PoolBuster, having used it for 3 seasons.

I first bought it as an expensive toy, and thought it over-priced but cool. It worked well but battery life wasn't what I hoped or they claim and suction was only good.

THIS WAS MY MISTAKE! I didn't realize I had a bad battery and should have had them replace it under warranty. But when I finally contacted them, the warranty was far too long expired and I had to buy a new battery/motor unit. WOW! What a difference! It was well-worth it. I never use up the battery, it doesn't go dead if I leave it for a couple of weeks and it has better suction than ever. As I said, I should have contacted the P/B people ASAP. Now it performs EXACTLY as claimed.

When I got the new battery, I also ordered the finer net filter--they have an even finer disposable but I haven't needed that. I haven't had the manual suction-side vacuum out in 2 years.

For your skimmer: There's a product called SkimmerSocks, that is a filter that goes in the skimmer, like the pantyhose, but I think it filters better. They are like 3 for $5 or 4 for $8, whatever, and I usually get a month out of each, rinsing them out. There are also competing brands and they work just as well. You use it like a coffee filter in a Mr. Coffee, only it hooks over the edge of the skimmer basket.
    Carl

I got the poolbuster after reading how much Carld like his. I picked up the pro model from Ebay and have been very happy with the purchase.
    Last edited by SUNNYDAYS; 11-20-2006 at 03:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread