+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New pool results from PS234s

Default New pool results from PS234s

Looking for confirmation that my pool is headed in the right direction. It is a 20,000 gallon inground gunite pool (hydrazzo finish). SWG is not started yet (we are waiting a few weeks). Pool finished filling 4 days ago. I am brushing 2-3 times a day and testing the water every day with Ben's kit. The start up company (from the PB) added CYA, muratic acid and floating pucks. As soon as he left, I removed the floating pucks, tested the water and added liquid chlorine. Here are my results today:

FC 2.5
    CC 0
    TC 2
    PH 7.3
    ALK 70
    Cal 160
    CYA 56

Any advice? I am told that it will change everyday and to be prepared to lower PH with Muratic Acid. I am wondering about the ALK amount? Should that be higher to help stabalize the PH? Thanks for any help.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: New pool results from PS234s

Depending on how your PB added the stabilizer, your CYA may continue to rise over the next few days. However, even with it at 50, I would make sure that your Cl never gets below 3, and really needs to be closer to 5 ppm.

It is common for new pools that are still curing to have rising pH, and Muriatic acid is the way to control it. I personally would raise the alk just a little (90-100 range) if you have a continuing problem with pH rising, and see if that helps.

Congratulations on the new pool!
    Janet

Thank you. I will go ahead and raise the chlorine level to be on the safe side and watch the ALK. The pool company hired another company to so start up and watch the chemicals for a week or so...they called me yesterday (I was not at home) and told me that they had been to my house, added more acid and calcium. I thought the calcium was on the low side from my testing the day before but the Ph was okay, so I was not sure why he took the PH back down to 6.8. It may have something to do with the fact that they "expect" the PH to raise every day? I have acid here and can add it myself, so I have left a message for their office that in the future I need to know BEFORE they add anything and when they are coming out to the house. Thanks again for your reply.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

There is apparently a common startup procedure that involves lots of acid and a low pH...my pool is vinyl, so I don't have first hand experience with it, but I've read many other forum member stories about their pool startup, and they sound very similar. I'm really surprised that they didn't explain all this to you, though.

I definitely would make sure that they don't put anything in there that you're not aware of!!

Janet

+ Reply to Thread