+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaves on bottom of pool

Hybrid View

Default Leaves on bottom of pool

Ok,,, this has been a headache have been getting allot of leaves on the bottom of the pool. I been using the skimmer to vacumme it all up, untill I clogged up the valve where all the leaves go to. Now my junk Polaris 150 will not pickup the leaves on the bottom. What other tools equipment is better to use to get that kind of stuff from the bottom? ... and I mean allot of leaves Thanks!!
    Yes I am a newbie

Grecian 17'x33' Vinyl liner pool
    ZeoBrite filteration
    SWG Aqua-rite
    Sta-Rite Dura-Glas 1.5hp pump.
    SAM Light

21037.5 gallons

ivyleager is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher ivyleager 0

Default Re: Leaves on bottom of pool

I still rely on my handy dandy leaf net. A terrific upper body toner!

CaryB

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: Leaves on bottom of pool

Mike, a 'leaf rake' will help. They are deep nets, ~18' x ~8" x ~18" deep net to hold lots of leaves before needing to be emptied, that clip onto your skimmer pole just like the regular (flat) skimmer net.
    There's a bit of a learning curve for using them heres a few poential problems:
    Though the leaves themselves don't weigh too much, the water trapped with them does, so if you try to pick the full net up out of the water in the middle of the pool, the pole could bend or break - pull the net back to the wall and lift it straight up out.
    The leaves will try to escape if you don't keep the net moving to trap them in the bottom (a quick upward jerk will also seal the net)
    The 'slip stream' of the net passing across the bottom will stir up adjacent leaves - you can either wait for them to settle out (by going to another area of the pool for a few minutes) or you can 'herd' the leaves to the shallow end for easier removal or you can start by pushing the rake out, when you get to ~max reach, quickly flip the net 180 deg and pull it back into the stirred up leaves - whem you get to the wall, flip it again and push into the entrained leaves...
    If you have to walk to the edge of the yard or fence to dump the leaves, you can make it a little easier by stepping on the bag first (to squeze the water out making the net lighter) then grab the pole just behind the net with one hand - when you get to the dumping area, use the other hand to hold the bottom of the net up so all the leaves fall out.
    Hope this helps - it's not a 'miracle' answer but is easier than vacing them (though you do have to do a lot of laps around the pool) if you decide to get one and are having any trouble with it, let me know and I'll help as best I can
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Hummmmmmmmmm....

Is this what your talking about?

If so, I have this. I tried. Its a pain in the &^% to use. lol

I can keep using the manual vac, but probably going to have to start putting on my solar cover to prevent leafs coming down below...
    Yes I am a newbie

ZeoBrite filteration
    SWG Aqua-rite
    SAM Light

21037.5 gallons

Smile Re: Leaves on bottom of pool

i too had alot of leaves used the vac but clogged up, bought the leaf bagger 26.00$$$ the one u hook up your hose too. its blue and round with a leaf bag on top cleaned all the leaves off the bottom of my pool , best thing since the toaster!!!!! jusst make sure all the parts are there when u but it , also very very easy to use. 28ft av ground

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Mike, you have an amazing gift, I thought of something and described it and you were able to post a pic (I don't know what you do for a living, but you could make a bundle as an internet psychic ). Yeah, that's what I was talking about, except it doesn't have the 'squeegee flap' on the rim.
    Have you tried the 'techniques' I posted when using it?
    What is it that makes it such a PITA? - I may be able to help.
    Also Larry's choice is my #2 for leaf removal.

Hope you can rid yourself of those persnickity leaves!!
    [edit]BTW, getting the leaves off of the solar cover can be even worse
    Last edited by waste; 10-20-2006 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

how does the leaf bagger work w/ the water hose?? How is it hooked up and what makes the leaves go into the leaf bagger?

Where can I get one at or what does it look like???

Thanks again!!
    Yes I am a newbie

ZeoBrite filteration
    SWG Aqua-rite
    SAM Light

21037.5 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by waste View Post
    Mike, a 'leaf rake' will help. ...
    The 'slip stream' of the net passing across the bottom will stir up adjacent leaves - you can either wait for them to settle out (by going to another area of the pool for a few minutes) or you can 'herd' the leaves to the shallow end for easier removal or you can start by pushing the rake out, when you get to ~max reach, quickly flip the net 180 deg and pull it back into the stirred up leaves - whem you get to the wall, flip it again and push into the entrained leaves...
    This technique works great. I've had way too much opportunity to perfect it though. I'll be shopping for one of those leaf bagger dealies this year.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

It's a simple gadget--they make pool vacuums that work the same way, like the Black Magic. The garden hose creates a pressure spray that blows debris into the collection bag. It's very powerful but fine stuff passes through the bag. But for bigger stuff, it just sucks it up! The leaf-baggers work exactly the same way.

This is all a Black Magic vacuum is. There are other brands, too. The bag clips on the top. I think Biogard makes one, too.

Here's what a typical leaf-bagger looks like:

Pretty similar in concept, but geared for leaves.

Hope this helps.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread