+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Leaves on bottom of pool

Default Re: Leaves on bottom of pool

sounds simple. gotta head to my pool store tomorrow to get more salt. so I will ask about this. Thanks all!!
    Yes I am a newbie

Grecian 17'x33' Vinyl liner pool
    ZeoBrite filteration
    SWG Aqua-rite
    Sta-Rite Dura-Glas 1.5hp pump.
    SAM Light

21037.5 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by waste View Post
    Mike, a 'leaf rake' will help. ...
    The 'slip stream' of the net passing across the bottom will stir up adjacent leaves - you can either wait for them to settle out (by going to another area of the pool for a few minutes) or you can 'herd' the leaves to the shallow end for easier removal or you can start by pushing the rake out, when you get to ~max reach, quickly flip the net 180 deg and pull it back into the stirred up leaves - whem you get to the wall, flip it again and push into the entrained leaves...
    This technique works great. I've had way too much opportunity to perfect it though. I'll be shopping for one of those leaf bagger dealies this year.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

It's a simple gadget--they make pool vacuums that work the same way, like the Black Magic. The garden hose creates a pressure spray that blows debris into the collection bag. It's very powerful but fine stuff passes through the bag. But for bigger stuff, it just sucks it up! The leaf-baggers work exactly the same way.

This is all a Black Magic vacuum is. There are other brands, too. The bag clips on the top. I think Biogard makes one, too.

Here's what a typical leaf-bagger looks like:

Pretty similar in concept, but geared for leaves.

Hope this helps.
    Carl

My experiece with leaf rakes is that the type and brand make a big difference in how they work. Some are great and the leaves easily move into the bag, others are like a trying to open a lock with a tooth pick. I have an Aquajet pool cleaner, but find it's easier to take 5 minutes to use the leaf rake first before running it. Also have used the leaf bagger or leaf vac that you guys mentioned and find my leaf rake a lot easier to use and faster, not to mention having to deal with the garden hose. I got my rake at HD, it has a soft white mesh bag on it and the rim has a plastic edge on it that is curved to cause the leaves to lift off the bottom.

so when you hook up the waterhose, where does the other side of the waterhouse go to? The return or just to the water faucet??
    Yes I am a newbie

ZeoBrite filteration
    SWG Aqua-rite
    SAM Light

21037.5 gallons

Garden hose hooks up to your water faucet, I suppose you could get some adaptors to hook it your return but I think you'd have better pressure from the house water pressure assuming it is at a reasonable level. This of course does add water to the pool every time you use it.

Man, had allot of wind and blew crap load of leaves into our pool skimmper basket was full and also leaves that sank clogged around my 2 main drains, which allowed no suction to our pool and motor was running like crap. I would not think that it would be so bad.

I have yet to purchase that leaf catcher, but I am seriously thinking about pulling out my solar cover and drop it in our new pool and hope that would keep majority of the leaves sink below. arrggghh!!
    Yes I am a newbie

ZeoBrite filteration
    SWG Aqua-rite
    SAM Light

21037.5 gallons

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Pool_Mike: A leaf bagger is FAR cheaper than a solar cover. If you are getting lots of leaves, I'm guessing you are in a climate where you have to close your pool for the winter. If you use your solar cover in cold to freezing temps, you'll ruin it. It gets stiff and inflexible and, with ice, the bubbles burst.

There are leaf nets that you can get instead that aren't expensive and will catch the vast majority of leaves.
    Carl

When and if you use a leaf bagger, take care that you don't drag it across the bottom of a vinyl-lined pool--my husband did, and we ended up with two large tears.

Quote Originally Posted by mhnewcomb View Post
    When and if you use a leaf bagger, take care that you don't drag it across the bottom of a vinyl-lined pool--my husband did, and we ended up with two large tears.
    Hey all, well I got myself the leaf catcher, just like this one
    and it is working out really well. As for that tip, thank you. I actually see it being better used if you get the "LC" (leaf catcher) to got right over the spot w/ the leafs that are on the bottom. I don't see it being easier that use the little rollers on the bottom of the LC to help it much. Kind of like using it as a stomper/picker-upper

Thanks my leafs horror catching days are over.

Hey anyone want to buy a brand new solar cover??? (not used)
    Yes I am a newbie

ZeoBrite filteration
    SWG Aqua-rite
    SAM Light

21037.5 gallons

+ Reply to Thread