+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you insure your AG Pool?

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Default Do you insure your AG Pool?

Wondering if anyone insures their pool for damages (tree falling on it or hail or ???) I would assume any company would exclude damage to the liner as that is an assumed risk, but I worry about a tornado or tree falling or something like that causing structural damage. I think if it is not specifically listed in the homeowner policy, it is not covered. Does anyone know anything about this topic?
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Re: Do you insure your AG Pool?

Mine's covered automatically, not sure if that's through contents coverage or my outbuilding coverage, but it's covered.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If you have homeowner's insurance and you followed the building rules of your town, you should be insured. If you skipped getting a building and electrical permit, and you were required to, your insurance company is probably not obligated to pay you for the damages.

That's why when putting up ANY pool, you should be sure to following the building regs for your town.
    Carl

Not only did I put it up without a permit, but I ran electric and gas without one. And put in a brick sidewalk too.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yup. And if ANYTHING happens, your H/O insurance may well deny your claim, especially damage--they can do that if it's not a compliant structure. I don't know if that includes personal injury insurance.
    Carl

This gives me something new to think about since our pool and decking is surrounded by trees.

Maybe this is a dumb question but...We did have a permit to build but that was 3 years ago and I've tossed the thing since it was completed. How would anyone know if you had one or not?

Our town doesn't have any regs for building an AG pool other than to have a fencing system which we have.

CoffeeBean

Your town will have your permit on record. You can get a copy of it if you need it.
    Carl

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

We live out in the country and there are no building permits for this sort of thing out here. We don't even have to get one to build a house out here! Unbelievable but true. We do have to have a licensed electrician working for the electric company hook up electricity from the roadside pole to the pole in the yard intially for a new yard setup or the electric company will not turn on the juice but other than that, we are on our own. Scary thought that anyone can build anything out here, but pretty much true. The insurance company requires a licensed electrician to certify that our pole to house and circuit setup in the house wiring meets state standards and thats it.

I know that certain things are required to be "listed" on some insurance policies and I just looked at ours, there are a lot of things listed separately like tools, snowmobiles, etc., so I wonder if this needs to be too? I guess I should call them.....Big wind and a tree falls on it, we are soooo screwed. I'm betting it won't be covered unless we have them list it.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

Thanks CarlD. Guess I should contact my insurance company about this one. After all the sweat and worry - not to mention expense - we've put into our pool, I'd hate to have it wiped out by a falling tree.

ivyleager is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher ivyleager 0

We live in NC, and were told by our insurance company that if we did not have a (minimum) 4 foot fence around the pool, that our pool would not be covered; and they have the option of dropping or terminating our coverage if their reg's were not followed. They did not care if it was an IG or AG pool. They didn't care if it was built with permits or by regulations. Their policy is that it is a LIABILITY on your property, and needs to be dealt with accordingly. They even didn't care if it had a diving board, believe it or not. However, if that changes, I'm on their list to be called. Anyway, our insuance went up a whoppping $24/year! However, our boat trailer raised our homeowners's premium $56/year.

We've been using the same insurance company for +10 years and have a pretty good relationship with the agent. When we have a question, whether it is on an automobile or one of our various homes, I always start the conversation with: "now hypothetically speaking", and always receive sound advice. You may want to speak candidly to your agent.

+ Reply to Thread