+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: pump will only prime when basket it out

Default pump will only prime when basket it out

I moved this from another thread because it put it under regular operations not repair..

We discovered this accidentally. The pump come within 4" bubble from priming. We've isolated each line siliconed every connection. Replaced every o ring.
    We started the pump with the basket out..the one at the pump (obviously) and it primed.
    Do you think it's the motor? Maybe it's not able to suck enough to pull the water through the basket.
    The basket is clear..nothing stuck in it.
    We took the motor away from the pump, cleaned the impellor..(spelling?)
    Completely cleaned the filter and replaced the DE.
    The drain is sucking, the skimmer is sucking. You can see the water rushing into the basket through the clear lid.

I thought it was strange that it would prime without the basket. We tried it twice to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Any ideas?

Plus is it safe the run if it's just a bubble away from prime?
    I'm obviously not circulating the water and it's getting yucky.
    Thanks!

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Default Re: pump will only prime when basket it out

scottsdale,
    Are you saying the pump strainer fills up with water except for an air bubble at the top? If so, your pump is primed.It's acceptable for there to be a small air bubble at the top of the pump strainer so long as you're getting good flow through and there's no cavitation.

By the way, do you have your main drain suction line opened completely (if you have one)?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Lightbulb Re: pump will only prime when basket it out

SS, by any chance do you have a Northstar?
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

I thought it had to be air free?

It's a sta rite dyna glas one hp.

It used to prime with absolutely no air in the pot.
    I've isolated each line. One line open, one line closed, half opened half closed.
    I tried every combination and still- a big bubble in the top of the pot.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: pump will only prime when basket it out

SS, the reason I asked about the Northstar, is that if the basket isn't in correctly, the lid won't completely seal - resulting in what you describe. I'm not 'up' on my Sta-rite pumps, but does your basket only go in one way (ie, there's a hole in it that matches up to the suction port) - If so, when the basket is slightly off center, it prevents the lid from being able to fully seal.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

jnorris is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst jnorris 0

Mine has an air bubble in it too, when I run on low. When I run on high, water completely fills the pump basket.

I believe if it is not primed, you will see little or no pressure on the filter.
    Judy

Designated "pool girl" for 16 x 40 IG vinyl pool (installed in 2006) in S.C.

There is pressure at the filter. It's noticably lower..like 2-3psi lower than normal..

The rim on the basket is broken..chipped rather. It's been that way since we bought the house 1.5 years ago so doubt it's that.

The gasket looks perfect but still gets black smears on your hands when you touch it...

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Have you tried to lubricate the o-ring?

I'll get a new basket tomorrow. I cleaned out the bottom of the pot really well, took the plug out and then even used a shop vac. Still didn't make a difference. Won't prime with the basket in.

The basket has been chipped but maybe it's possible that it's a little more chipped than before...who knows?!
    GAH!

If the basket and gasket use the rim of the basket to seal then that could be the reason.

And.....I shocked the crap outta myself. Don't remove that plastic card thing that protects the wire connectors
    then stand in water
    with wet hands and
    accidentally touch the connectors when you flip the pump.

That picture makes my hand look chubby. *sigh*
    Last edited by ScottsdaleSwim; 10-16-2006 at 10:43 PM. Reason: forgot something

lol....love the red nail polish while doing pool maintenance though! ; )
    Have you tried a new basket? It's not likely the basket itself causing the problem unless there's some kind of blockage in the basket that you cannot see.
    There wasn't any 'hair" in the pump impeller when you cleaned it, was there?

If there's a reduction of suction on your filter, there may be some obstruction in your suction lines. The best way to check and clear this is to go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a plumming "Drain Jet". It attaches to a garden hose, swells the canvas or rubber blatter to plug up the pipe, and forces water into the pipes to clear any obstruction. You would put this into the pipe going back to the pool from the pump basket area (with the lid removed of course).
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

+ Reply to Thread