+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: pump will only prime when basket it out

Default Re: pump will only prime when basket it out

Yeah, nothing like black goo under red fingernails.

I tried the Drain king and isolated the drain and the skimmer at different times. Each seemed to have a good flow coming back. The drain is hard to tell because..well, I'm not getting in there to check. But....I put leaves over the drain to see if they floated away from the force of the water and they did...and the drain seems to suck just as it did before.

That drain king thing shoots a skinny stream of water..pulsating yes, but by the time it makes all those corners how forceful do you think it is?

If there was a clog, wouldn't I have the same results if the basket was in or out? Not priming?

The basket is free of any debris, I was concerned that there could be hair that I couldn't see. Some roofing pebbles but I removed them. Same thing.
    There was a little debris in the impeller (try gettin' to that without ruining your manicure!)-removed that and still not priming.

Kurt..yep. Cleaned and Lubed the O ring. Even the O ring on the drain plug.

The woman at the poolstore (I know, I know) said that it was probably from the broken basket. She didn't come up with that on her own though AND she didn't have a replacement basket.

I'm concerned that the pump is failing and isn't strong enough to pull the water through the basket.
    Hopefully I'll find a new basket today.
    Will post the follow up for sure. Thanks for the replies.

got a replacement basket.

Not the problem. It still won't prime with the basket in.

How do you know if the motor is going?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

This whole thread has had me stumped. On the motor, if it isn't making any strange noises, is running at a constant speed, is not overheating, not smoking, and not popping a breaker, then it's OK. That basket looks like it shouldn't restrict the flow much if at all. If I get any brilliant ideas I'll certainly post.
    Al

Perhaps taking a photo of the pump, in operation, to see how large the bubble is you are speaking of. I don't remember reading this but are you venting your filter, at pump startup, after removing/ replacing the top off of the pump each time? That may help evacuate that bubble. Good luck.

Poconos- thanks. I appreciate any comments because I'm stumped too.
    My husband is going to put a tachometer? I can't remember what he called it..to measure the output of the motor.

divnkd101...yep. Bleeding the air off each time. It's an obvious question but thanks for asking because seriously- I feel like I'm totally missing something!

If you thinking "oh I should ask...nah, she can't be that stupid" Just ASK because I'm blonde.

The thing is...I've repeatedly removed the basket, old one and new one...and then have been able to to fully prime.

The bubble..I'll take a picture right now. It's just under the handle thing on the top.
    I'll take a picture.
    Some people consider that primed but it used to be totally free of any air bubbles- which I considered prime. lemme get that photo.

okay..see where the air is in the pot? I used an arrow but it's hard to see.
    Btw, the air pocket is bigger.
    I was going to take the lid off and prime without the basket so you wouldn't think I was crazy..but I couldn't get the lid off.

that bubble does not look too bad to me.. is it causing the pump to cavitate or make a lot of noise?

Does the lip of the basket slip under the cover and prevent it from seating all the way maybe ?
    Last edited by Phillbo; 10-19-2006 at 07:03 PM.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

Phillbo...It's not making a lot of noise...it's the same as it was before. The pressure had decreased by about 2-4 lbs. Not much.
    The new basket fits exactly as the old one.
    I think I'll pick up a new lid just in case. It looks like it's in great condition but when I had the stethescope near the top it was hissy-er.
    Maybe just because of the air bubble in the pot...not really sure.
    Gah! Makes me nuts.

CanuckPool is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher CanuckPool 0

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    that bubble does not look too bad to me.. is it causing the pump to cavitate or make a lot of noise?

Does the lip of the basket slip under the cover and prevent it from seating all the way maybe ?

It almost sounds like the height of the basket for some reason is preventing the lid from completely seating and letting some air in. Could the lid have warped slightly. Maybe a new lid is the next test. Or maybe the basket needs shaving down 1/16" of an inch maybe. The only other thing I can think of is that the basket is creating some sort of vortex with the water passing around it and that creates the air pocket, no basket, cleaner flowing water.

Put some shaving cream (the foamy kind) around the outside of the seal on the pot while the pump is running. If the air goes away, then your leak is there. The shaving cream will also eventually begin to suck in where the leak is, which should be evident by a hole showing up in the shave cream (you could probably also see it through that clear lid).

I have used shaving cream several times to find leaks in pipe joints and seals on the suction side. It pinpoints exactly where the leak is.

+ Reply to Thread