Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Costs to replaster?!

Default Costs to replaster?!

Our gunite pool needs to be replastered (ordinary black plaster). We also need to have most, if not all of the tile trim repaired/replaced (I'm having a heck of a time keeping the water level below the tile in the winter). The tile is a band about 6" deep running all the way around the top of the pool. Last fall, I talked to a guy about replastering. Based on the specs I gave him on the phone, he said it would be around $5,000. This seemed reasonable to me. Yesterday, he stopped by to do a full estimate, and quoted me just over $9,000. I was a little shocked. He explained that the estimate was higher because all of the tile needed to be redone (at $50 per linear foot). I built the pool for around $31,000. This included excavation, blasting, complete pool construction (gunite, plastering, tile trim, etc), deck (680 sf), plus all equipment and electrical work. How can a replastering job cost almost 1/3 of the original cost?

Needless to say, I'm getting additional estimates. I'm also wondering if the tile part is something I can do myself?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Costs to replaster?!

$50/ft seems high to me, but then I haven't checked the market. $5k may be a good price for plastering, but how big is your pool?

Also, I just noticed you said "black" plaster. I know that in doing tile floors, black grout is the most expensive. That may also be adding to your cost.

Michael

The pool is 19,500 gallons. Nothing tricky, just the normal steps and a lot of smooth surfaces.

$5k sounds in the realm of possibilities for a replaster, given the size and color of your plaster. However, that's not including the tile work, of course. $50/ft just sounds crazy high to me. If he was doing a floor, that would work out to $100/SqFt, which is insane, even for a tile tear-out job. I'd definitley get more bids.

Michael

We are looking at getting our pool replastered as well. Ours is 18 x 32.. about 18,000 gallons. We have recieved price quotes for standard white plaster from 2750 - 4600..I asked about replacing the tile and was quoted 12.00 a linear foot.. Only problem is that all the companies I've gotten prices from accept cashiers check or cash..The all want full payment up front as well. I've found one company that will do 1/2 payment up front and the rest upon completion and this was the company that cost 4600..So needless to say I'm still looking around..Good luck with your search..
    d

Quote Originally Posted by dbmet
    We are looking at getting our pool replastered as well. Ours is 18 x 32.. about 18,000 gallons. We have recieved price quotes for standard white plaster from 2750 - 4600..I asked about replacing the tile and was quoted 12.00 a linear foot.. Only problem is that all the companies I've gotten prices from accept cashiers check or cash..The all want full payment up front as well. I've found one company that will do 1/2 payment up front and the rest upon completion and this was the company that cost 4600..So needless to say I'm still looking around..Good luck with your search..
    d
    Thanks very much--that is very helpful info!

InfinityPools is offline ** No working email address ** InfinityPools -

I don't wanna but heads with anybody, 18X32 with a standard plaster like Krystal Krete. Contractor cost about 10.50 to 13.50 a bag of plaster. Say your pool takes at the most 40 bags @ 13.50 = $540.00 Case of Acid $24.00

My sub charges me $750.00 To Prep And Plaster
    Charges Me $4.00 a LF for Tile
    Cost of tile depends on tile.

$540.00
    $750.00
    $ 24.00
    _______
    $1314.00

With Tile @ 90 LF $360.00
    Cost Of Tile ? You Factor In

Now you will know what is a fair Price.

Please Note That colors Like Black Perl finish do cost upwards to $15.00 to $18.00 a bag.

Do not Pay your Contractor In Full. work Up an agreement for 10% down 40% On finish of Prep 40% On Finish of Plaster 10% On Finish of tile or Job
    Last edited by InfinityPools; 04-19-2006 at 10:53 PM.

Infinity.... what about the cost of removing the old tile and grout and prepping the surface for new tile? You didn't factor that in. Also.... is the contractor not intitled to make any profit? You listed your cost only.

I think $9,000 is way out of whack, but some parts of the country are very high, unlike Florida which is the cheapest place to get a pool because there are so many pool contractors competing for business.

Golfdog, did that estimate inlclude new coping by any chance?
    Zina
    Pool-Design . net

Tredge is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Tredge 0

I'm looking at doing somthing similar.
    Read this guys experience....very informative.
    http://truetex.com/pool.htm

Have you considered an alternative? I'm leaning away from plaster right now.
    http://www.poolrestoration.com/
    Anyone with first hand experience with somthing like this? Are his claims accurate?

Looking at my bid from the contractor doing the replaster - 21K gallons, 32x17 , basic white plaster.

Drain and chip out plaster 1079.00
    Replaster 2265.00

Quoted 1300.00 for class A tile.. looks like 7.90/ LF.

Closed Thread