Our gunite pool needs to be replastered (ordinary black plaster). We also need to have most, if not all of the tile trim repaired/replaced (I'm having a heck of a time keeping the water level below the tile in the winter). The tile is a band about 6" deep running all the way around the top of the pool. Last fall, I talked to a guy about replastering. Based on the specs I gave him on the phone, he said it would be around $5,000. This seemed reasonable to me. Yesterday, he stopped by to do a full estimate, and quoted me just over $9,000. I was a little shocked. He explained that the estimate was higher because all of the tile needed to be redone (at $50 per linear foot). I built the pool for around $31,000. This included excavation, blasting, complete pool construction (gunite, plastering, tile trim, etc), deck (680 sf), plus all equipment and electrical work. How can a replastering job cost almost 1/3 of the original cost?

Needless to say, I'm getting additional estimates. I'm also wondering if the tile part is something I can do myself?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!