+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PolyQuat and Shocking with Chlorine

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Default PolyQuat and Shocking with Chlorine

Carl,

You mentioned in this post how large quantities of polyquat consume large quantities of chlorine (or vice versa) and others have reported the same sort of thing when they close their pools using high doses of both polyquat and chlorine.

I'd like to try and figure out what's going on so that we aren't doing something stupid. If you or anyone plans to close their pool this season with high doses of polyquat and chlorine and notice the chlorine (FC) level drop considerably, check on the combined chlorine (CC) level (by measuring total chlorine, TC) to see if it has gone up.

If the chlorine combines with PolyQuat to form a chlorinated PolyQuat, this should show up as a combined chlorine and perhaps it continues to be effective as an algicide in this form. However, eventually, it may break down (get oxidized) and not show up in CC and not be effective.

Just wondering if we are fooling ourselves thinking that we can close a pool with high chlorine and PolyQuat levels simultaneously. The fact that it is recommended that PolyQuat be added on a regular basis may mean that it gets broken down, though slowly under normal chlorine levels. Or it may mean that manufacturers just want us to use more and don't care about buildup (ya think!).

Richard
    Last edited by chem geek; 10-11-2006 at 10:14 PM.

Default Re: PolyQuat and Shocking with Chlorine

This sounds like the scenario I am seeing.

I dosed my pool yesterday morning with polyquat after having had it consistently at 20ppm of CL for teh several days preceding. At the time I added the polyquat the FC was at 11.5, CC at 0.5. Tonight the FC has dropped to 6.0 while the CC remains at 0.5.

Should I raise the TC level back up to shock level now in order to close?

I also asked in the fall prep forum at what pint is there no longer a danger of filtering out the polyquat by changing multiport back to filter?

thanks,
    John

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Richard,
    You are the chemist, I'm just a rule-of-thumb, what-I've-observed guy.

It may be that my method has no more basis to it than wearing a tin-foil hat and throwing salt over my left shoulder--I don't know. But I've been successful with it for several years, and so have other folks.

There is a mechanism for why PolyQuat drops FC--CC doesn't seem to rise when it does that. PoolDoc (who seems to be VERY busy these days) probably has discussed it--I think he did.

I do know that PolyQuat is far better at INHIBITING algae growth than as an algae killer.

But our whole goal of winterizing is to keep the water clean and clear once the pump is off until the water is absolutely too cold for algae growth.

I've never noticed a problem with my filter filtering out PolyQuat but WaterMom has. She suggests running the filter on Recirculate for 24-48 hours after heavy dosing with PolyQuat. I find if I add it slowly to the return stream it distributes. It's a thick, oily liquid and needs to dissipate sufficiently so it can't be filtered out. Once it's fully distributed there definitely is no problem with it getting filtered out.

BTW, weekly dosing during the season of an ounce or two in the return stream doesn't require "recirculate"--it's the heavy dosing of a quart or two that may.
    Carl

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Well I'm not a chemist by trade (I'm a color and imaging algorithm and S/W programming guy at work), but have an interest in pool water chemistry and remember enough chemistry (which was my major along with physics) to know some things, but not others. And it's through real-world observation that we really learn what goes on, regardless of "theory". So that's why I asked.

I found one post where Ben says that PolyQuat and high chlorine levels are incompatible, but nothing else explaining it. The fact that users see chlorine levels drop rather precipitously while the CC only goes up a relatively small amount probably means one of the following:

1) PolyQuat consumes (combines with) chlorine to perform some sort of chlorinated PolyQuat, but does not show up completely in the CC (TC) test.

2) High levels of chlorine oxidize PolyQuat (i.e. break it down) which would explain the large drop in FC while CC doesn't climb very much. If this is the case, then it doesn't make much sense to close the pool with PolyQuat. Perhaps it's OK to use PolyQuat first, at lower chlorine levels, and then later (perhaps a few days or a week later) shock the pool with chlorine. I did read that it is recommended not to shock the pool within 48 hours of using PolyQuat.

3) High levels of PolyQuat interfere with the FC test so that the chlorine level is still high but one does not know it from the test.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that #2 is what is going on. And yes, I'd sure like to hear from Ben on this, but understand if he's too busy.

As for the black algae problem that keam (Kristi) has in her pool, after she hopefully gets rid of it (at least all visible signs of it), she should probably use a PolyQuat small maintenance dose on a regular basis or perhaps could use 50 ppm Borates to prevent further outbreaks without requiring the higher chlorine levels. It may be that with black algae that nothing will completely get rid of it (especially in plaster pools, though hers is vinyl) so the best one can do is keep it from growing.

The level of chlorine that she reported was the minimum needed to prevent regrowth of the black algae corresponded to a disinfecting chlorine level of 0.07 ppm which roughly corresponds to the Max. column in Ben's best guess CYA chart.

Richard

Jakebear is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Jakebear 0

Since my pool is in limbo right now I can play and see what happens. I’m waiting for the temp to drop per Carl’s recommendation so I can close it. The FC is 5.0 right now with no algae.

I’ll add the recommended dose of PolyQuat 60 and let you know what things test at in the morning.

Edit: I forgot to mention -- the pool is completely covered with a mesh LoopLock cover ~ 90% shade, about 2 feet above water level.
    Last edited by Jakebear; 10-12-2006 at 03:54 PM. Reason: After thought
    27038 Gallon InGround, Vinyl, DE filter.

Just checked FC down from 5.0 to 3.8ppm after 19 hours of circulating. Combined is .2ppm.

I used my Peristaltic Pump to inject the diluted Quat (1 gal h2o) into the return stream. That took about an hour since it only pumps 20gal/day

Another 30 hours have past and the Free Chlorine is down to 2.8 ppm and just a hint of CC (FAS-DPD barely pink) I'll call it .2 but if I could have used a half drop that probably would have done it. Also noticed pH is up a bit to 7.7 from 7.5 before the Quat.

I will begin injecting 6% Bleach when the pump come on (very early morning because of the frosty conditions). Anticipated (calculated) increase is 2.5 ppm based on injection rate and run time --- We'll see.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Well, I just finished closing my pool today. I had my FC at 4, then added 48 oz of PolyQuat to my 19,200 gallon pool. FC dropped to 0. I then shocked it up, and, today, when I closed, FC was 13.5. I used Liquid Chlorine.
    Carl

haze_1956 is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst haze_1956 0

My understanding is that Polyquat is a essentially a Non-foaming Detergent.

I have read posts that recommend lowering chlorine levels before adding it when dealing with algae,

And some posts have recommended high chlorine to clear foaming in the pool.

So the question is, does chlorine break down detergents?

I don't know about the last--or the first.

PolyQuat should NOT be used when fighting algae. By then it's too late and you must maintain consistently high shock levels of chlorine to do the job.

Since the only algaecide I use is PolyQuat, I never have had a foaming issue.

I know it sounds crazy to say this, but the simpler you go with your pool chemistry, ie, B-B-B, and the more relentless you are about REGULAR (daily) testing of your water's chlorine and pH levels, the less trouble you'll have. It's easy. It's quick. It's cheap. It works. Why go any other route?

Because I am consistent in my testing, I spend very little time on taking care of my water. I'm aware of, and ahead of potential problems and have compensated before hand.

I believe in the methods espoused here because I have been using them for 6 years and they work flawlessly. I have had one MINOR algae bloom and that was cleared up in 24 hours--and due to my breaking my own rules. I have not had cloudy water, or any other major problems. But I did have problems before that, when I was using the pool store and "How to Tame the Pool Monster" for advice and hadn't found PoolSolutions.com or Poolforum.com/pf2.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread