+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELP water clody and green

Default HELP water clody and green

Can someone please help me.

I know this will make some mad BUT I JUST GOT OUT OF MY POOL......

14,000 gallon above ground pool
    BBB method

FC= 1 low I know
    TC= 3
    CC= 2
    TA= 120 Pretty much OK
    PH= 8+ Real High
    CYA= 55 pretty much in line
    Temp 78

Water was Perfect all year long until now

Here is the problem.

I have green Spots on the bottom of the pool. They seem to be mosly on the overlaps and the little ruts in the liner. I run them over with the pool vac and they seem to go away and kinda blend into the water.
    My water is also a little cloudy and not as clear. Here is my plan....

Bleach and Munaric acid and keep pool filter running.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Default Re: HELP water clody and green

I would say that you've started to form algae. The low FC relative to the CYA level has allowed algae (probably green algae) to grow. The fact that you have significant CC also means that the chlorine is consuming organics, but you don't have enough chlorine to reach breakpoint (or enough exposure to sunlight).

I suggest you immediately begin shocking your pool by adding liquid chlorine (or bleach) to raise the FC to 20 ppm and keep it there until the pool clears and you no longer consume chlorine overnight (an FC of 15 might work, but I'd rather play it on the safe side given possible errors in CYA measurements, etc.). And yes, you need to add muriatic acid to get your pH down and should do that before you add the shock chlorine because it will be hard for you to measure pH accurately with high chlorine levels. In fact, because the shock level of chlorine will tend to raise your pH, I would first get your pH down on the low side, say to 7.3 or so (but definitely not below 7.0), and then add the shock level of chlorine.

And remember, patience, patience, patience. You'll probably need to check your FC level several times a day if you can since the algae will likely consume a lot of it (and if there's sun where you are, the sun will breakdown a lot as well). The key is to keep the FC up at 20 ppm as much as possible. Good luck and please keep us posted with how it's going.

Richard

+ Reply to Thread