+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pebble Tec Upgrade color

Default Pebble Tec Upgrade color

having a pool/spa built original contract is for tahoe blue pebble tec. asked the contractor about upgrading to "midnight blue" given a quote of $4400 to change color. is this right, since the labor is the same -- pool w/ spa is @40x18

Default Re: Pebble Tec Upgrade color

I got the same response from my builder when we discussed colors - it is due to the fact that it has to mixed/applied better - more chance of variations in color.

If you decide on the dark color - just remember you will not be able to see what's underwater (kids/snakes) and any colored lighting you purchase will not show-up very well.
    Completed 8/21/06
    14,000 gallon 3'-6' concrete pool with Diamond Brite
    Spa with spillway
    250K BTU gas heater (for spa)
    SWCG - Aqua Rite
    Hayward Super II Pump - Cartridge filter

See pictures here http://www.philsimmons.com/family/ga...mages&keyword=

Smile Re: Pebble Tec Upgrade color

Pebble products have a couple of different levels of pricing. Our Ocean Blue PebbleSheen was more expensive than other colors at other levels. The newer colors seem to be at the higher price levels probably because they are new and, consumers that we are, we all want the newest thing!

Ocean Blue is the Pebble Sheen equivalent to Midnight Blue Pebble Tec. As Simmons99 suggested, the darker finish color does affect the effect of colored lights. All colors in my SAm lights are more muted, with the clear light being the brightest, the red light being the least illuminating and the blue and green being somewhere in between. I'm still very happy with the lights and would not go back and change to just plain lights, even if I could.

The comment about not seeing kids and critters is also valid under certain light conditions. My pool is in direct, mostly overhead sun throughout the summer. Until the shadows fall, I can clearly see the markings on the Phillips head screws in my drain covers which are under 6' of water. Once shadows begin to fall and now that the sun's rays are at an angle in fall, the pool does have some darker corners. But even in those corners, the pool is still crystal clear and I can make out the pebbles on the bottom. Viewed from a distance in certain light conditions, a darker finish pool can look almost black, in contrast to how a bright blue pool might appear.

If you like the darker colors, try to see darker pools in person. I absolutely love the color of my pool and wouldn't change it for anything! But, that's why there are so many colors to choose from - we all have our preferences and our concerns.
    Sandy
    15,600 gallon, screened 15x30 IG plaster sport pool with 6x8 tanning area, Aquarite SWCG, Hayward cartridge filter, Polaris 280 cleaner

i am trying to find out what is normal for costs to upgrade to a premium color i.e. the midnight blue. i can appreciate the product might be more expensive, but it doesn't seem that it can be that much more.

OK, now I understand. I found getting a straight answer to this question myself more than a bit frustrating.

Because there was only 1 company who'd do Pebble applications where I lived, I had to research out of my area to determine what would be an acceptable price. What I found was pretty amazing.

Some applicator companies have as many as 4-5 levels of pricing for Tec and another 3-4 for Sheen. Some companies, like the one we used, have 3-4 levels but they are the same whether you use Tec or Sheen. Some companies charge by interior square feet, others by linear feet. It makes comparisons extremely hard to do, at least it did for me. Some companies put one color with a certain group, other companies will put that color with a different group of colors, hence a different price level.

Unfortunately, I can't lay my hands on my notes of the price levels for the applicator we used. However, you can do a search on the Pools & Spas forum of GardenWeb.com and you'll get some hits, although it'll be bits and pieces of info.

There's also a FL company whose prices I printed out from their site in early May of this year. I just tried to access it so I could post the link and that company had now "forbidden" entry!! So, I'll have to type out their prices by hand...
    Tec: std = $4.05/sqft (white pearl, sandy beach, sedona red, carribean blue)
    upgrade 1 = $4.50/sqft (tahoe blue)
    upgrade 2 = $5.20/sqft (majestic plum, black pearl, black marble)
    upgrade 3 = $4.80/sqft "Australian Pebble" (soft white, moonlight grey, jade, creme de menthe)
    upgrade 4 = $6.05/sqft (midnight blue, tropical breeze, emerald bay, sky blue)
    Sheen: std = $4.05/sqft (desert gold, white diamonds, French grey)
    upgrade 1 = $4.55/sqft "Australian Pebble" (bordeaux, blue granite, Irish mist, arctic white, aqua blue)
    upgrade 2 = $4.80/sqft (seafoam green, black onyx, prism blue)
    They did not even quote Ocean Blue, Slate Blue, Cool Blue, or Turtle Bay, the Sheen colors that came out in 2004. Either they wanted to retain some pricing flexibility on those colors or they had a very slow webmaster .

These prices seemed to be prices they charged PBs, not the resulting prices to pool owners. This company also had a number of added charges for split colors, Tec/Sheen combos, if you wanted Pebble Sheen molded steps, if your pool wasn't ready when they arrived, etc., etc.

Good luck.
    Last edited by dawndenise; 10-11-2006 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added specific colors for Sheen
    Sandy
    15,600 gallon, screened 15x30 IG plaster sport pool with 6x8 tanning area, Aquarite SWCG, Hayward cartridge filter, Polaris 280 cleaner

I contracted in Dec of last year, Typically PT does not charge for upgrade in the 4th quarter of the year at least in the Dallas, Ft Worth Market. Might want to check with your builder.

I found the notes I took when talking to our applicator (we were owner-builders on the finish of our pool). As I mentioned previously, it seems that different applicators have a different # of price levels and that some charge by perimeter (linear) foot and others by interior square footage.

Our applicator had 3 levels of pricing, no difference between Tec and Sheen, and charged by perimeter foot.

Standard: $37.50/perimeter foot
    Upgrade 1: $42.50/PF
    Top-of-the-line: $49.50/PF

I did not write down all the colors in each level, but can tell you that Midnight Blue PT would have been in the "top-of-the-line" pricing.

These prices also appeared to be what the applicator charged the PBs and not resulting prices to pool owners. Company also had various other charges for deeper pools (8'+), more steps, baja shelves, special color combos, etc., etc.
    Sandy

+ Reply to Thread