Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Autism and chlorine

drumr is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst drumr 0

Default Autism and chlorine

I open and close a pool for a friend of mine whose son has autism due to mercury poisoning from his innoculations. She uses baquacil in her pool and it has been cloudy all summer. She says that when he is in the pool he drinks alot of water and was concerned about the effects that chlorine may have on his system. I personally can't imagine drinking from a pool filled with biguinide could be much healthier. She is very mindful of his diet, and she is very particular about the chemicals she uses to clean with (my wife cleans her house), because he is in detoxification to rid the mercury from his body.

My question is: Is it better to use a biguinide product in this case vs. chlorine and just go by the biguinide sticky? The only thing we haven't done is drain 60% of the pool every year, and that would probably take care of the cloudiness.

For me, I'll continue with my sparkling clear BBB!!!

JD

Default Re: Autism and chlorine

Quote Originally Posted by drumr View Post
    I open and close a pool for a friend of mine whose son has autism due to mercury poisoning from his innoculations. She uses baquacil in her pool and it has been cloudy all summer. She says that when he is in the pool he drinks alot of water and was concerned about the effects that chlorine may have on his system. I personally can't imagine drinking from a pool filled with biguinide could be much healthier. She is very mindful of his diet, and she is very particular about the chemicals she uses to clean with (my wife cleans her house), because he is in detoxification to rid the mercury from his body.

My question is: Is it better to use a biguinide product in this case vs. chlorine and just go by the biguinide sticky? The only thing we haven't done is drain 60% of the pool every year, and that would probably take care of the cloudiness.

For me, I'll continue with my sparkling clear BBB!!!

JD
    Hi Drumr,

Our nephew was also a vaccine damaged infant, but thankfully has recovered and has no problem using our SWG pool. Thimerosal has been removed from most children's vaccines (by the kicking and screaming pharma giants who would rather use mercury to sterilize, post-manufacture than to go to the expense of building a clean room environment to make vaccines, but that's another subject) Most flu vaccines and the like still have thimerosal content.

The problem, as I understand it, doesn't come from chlorine per se, but from the carbolic acid generated by phenol destruction in the pool water. I would guess that our #1 rule (Don't pee in the pool) would help, regardless of what method you choose, but also be careful that the biguanide agent doesn't contain other chemicals like dyes or anti-caking agents (which are usually wheat-based).

ASD kids usually suffer from gut-related autoimmune disorders which can often be minimized by gluten/casein free diets or specific carbohydrate diets, both of which can be "violated" by many kinds of innocuous additives like starch, barley, wheat products, corn syrup or food dyes. Even soy is contraindicated for many of these kids. Paradoxically, if they can get foods containing these ingredients, they will try to eat nothing else. (hence the reason he drinks pool water?)

The amount required to "recontaminate" can be amazingly small.

There's a terrific line of digestive enzymes that keep G/C free diets easier to maintain at:
    http://www.houstonni.com/

The "No-Phenol" enzyme might be very helpful if the sensitivity seems to be chlorine-related, but the other enzymes they sell are very good too. These enzymes can be a lifesaver for someone who's forced to swim in an indoor pool or has persistent allergies or sensitivities.

Hth,

STS

P.S. There's a movement afoot to correct the diagnostic terminology regarding doctor or vaccine-created "autism". Many now insist on calling it "toxic encephalopathy", just in case they want to google the related links.
    ----------

19,000 gal IG freeform pool - 14'X40'
    Raised spa with "island" table
    Hayward automation with SWG
    Tristar pumps -circulation, spa, waterfalls
    Hayward Phantom pool cleaner - Love that Phantom!
    Rheem/Raypak Pool Heat pump
    Ben's PS234 kit

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

The "hypotheses" about links between autisim and thimerosal have been pretty thoroughly debunked (over and over again). No reputable study that's been done to date has found any link and the "studies" that have found such a link have all been seriously flawed or downright fraudulent.

To make wild suppositions about chlorine and autism is, I think, irresponsible. Just as the unfounded vaccine scare resulted in some children not getting vaccinated against real and serious threats, a chlorine scare that results in insufficiently sanitized drinking and bathing water may well cause more people to contract real and serious diseases.

duraleigh Guest

I totally agree with KurtV. No one has established a clear link to the causes of autism.

Quote Originally Posted by South_Texas_Sun View Post

P.S. There's a movement afoot to correct the diagnostic terminology regarding doctor or vaccine-created "autism". Many now insist on calling it "toxic encephalopathy", just in case they want to google the related links.
    There's also a movement afoot to call it bull$%#^, but that's only by scientists and doctors who've studied it.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Regardless of the cause of autism (and I agree that the studies do not show a statistically significant increase in autism in children taking vaccines with mercury in them vs. those who did not or any relationship vs. number of vaccines, amount of mercury exposure, etc.), anyone who is concerned with minimizing exposure to carcinogens and chemicals that can cause asthma and other ills should be aware that it is primarily the disinfection by-products (DPBs) that are the problem and, as stated in the earlier post, not the chlorine itself. Specifically, it is when chlorine combines with organic compounds (and with ammonia which can produce nitrogen trichloride if not shocked to breakpoint first) that causes the problem.

Using CYA in the pool will significantly reduce disinfecting chlorine levels and the rate of production of DPBs since that is dependent on the chlorine concentration (HOCl concentration, not FC). Also, an outdoor pool with even a small breeze will sweep away most of the volatile DPBs and sunlight *may* breakdown some of them as well. So, IMHO, the risk in an outdoor pool exposed to sunlight and wind is very, very small.

On the other hand, the risk in an indoor pool is much higher. Indoor pools don't use CYA (though perhaps they should use a little for the reasons cited above) so DPB production is much larger and ventiliation can be poor and there is no sunlight exposure. All of the studies showing problems with asthma and other ills in competitive swimmers and in children (who breath more air per body weight than adults) are with indoor pools, not outdoor pools.

Finally, if someone is still concerned, you can spend money on a non-chlorine shock of potassium monopersulfate (KMPS) which will oxidize the organics before chlorine gets a chance to and therefore reduces the amount of DPBs. If a weekly dose buys piece of mind, then it's worth it. Personally, I don't think it's needed in outdoor pools, but it won't hurt (except for the cost). It will increase sulfates in the water, but that's the only side effect.

Richard

drumr is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst drumr 0

I would like to thank everyone who has responded to this thread and welcome more responses. I went to close her pool today and it was totally cloudy. I couldn't even see 2 foot down. Her water is always a little cloudy, but never like this. They are going to put a new liner in next spring so they are not so worried about the condition of the water so I put the cover on it and cleaned out all of the gunky (I have never seen it this bad, and it is changed every year) sand.

I am going to talk to her about a SWG. I think if they had one of those she may be willing to convert to chlorine. I know they spend a ton of money on baquacil and even though they are "well off," that money could be going to something more useful.

I was a little concerned about opening a can of worms with this thread, but really wanted to know what others thought about it.

Thanks,
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by KurtV View Post
    The "hypotheses" about links between autisim and thimerosal have been pretty thoroughly debunked (over and over again). No reputable study that's been done to date has found any link and the "studies" that have found such a link have all been seriously flawed or downright fraudulent.

To make wild suppositions about chlorine and autism is, I think, irresponsible. Just as the unfounded vaccine scare resulted in some children not getting vaccinated against real and serious threats, a chlorine scare that results in insufficiently sanitized drinking and bathing water may well cause more people to contract real and serious diseases.
    Hi KurtV,

These are hardly "wild suppostions". Our family has seen a complete turnaround in our nephew from severe autism (constant shrill screaming, spinning in circles on the floor under a table, and unwillingness to make eye contact or even acknowledge his mom's presence) to a normal happy, healthy, and social 10 yr. old boy who's IQ score went up over 20 points over the years of treatment.

You really should be more careful about posting on unfamiliar subjects on which you have no personal experience.

You could wind up causing the opposite effect from the one you described...i.e. Discouraging hopeless parents from trying a treatment that has worked for thousands of others, irrespective of medical industry opinion.

STS
    ----------

Ben's PS234 kit

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I totally agree with KurtV. No one has established a clear link to the causes of autism.
    Hi Duraleigh,

I'm not sure where all this anti-disabled child sentiment is coming from (especially on a swimming pool forum) , but you should know that there's a serious possibility that the vaccine industry has knowingly been involved in poisoning the public and attempting to cover their tracks in order to avoid massive liability litigation that would bankrupt the industry and undermine the credibility of pharma industry-funded research.

Don't belive me? Here's congressional testimony.

http://thinktwice.com/autism1.htm

And with (according to California State figures) 1 in every 165 kids being born or becoming autistic early in life, don't you think it's a good idea to figure out why? (Autism wasn't even a disease until the 1950's!)

Some other random links.... (google autism mercury if you want a real eyefull.)

http://www.vran.org/vaccines/autism/aut-rimland.htm
    http://diet-studies.com/megson.html
    http://www.mercola.com/2000/apr/16/c..._testimony.htm

STS
    ----------

Ben's PS234 kit

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    There's also a movement afoot to call it bull$%#^, but that's only by scientists and doctors who've studied it.

Hey JohnT! Don't hold back! Tell us what you REALLY think!......lol

My 10 year old nephew, who was formerly diagnosed as severely autistic, now has a better grasp of basic electricity than you demonstrated on that electrical shock thread, and can breadboard a 12 volt power supply faster than most kids can plug in a wall wart.

Try that on for "bull$%#^", bubba!

STS
    ----------

Ben's PS234 kit

Closed Thread