+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone ever bought a used pool?

Kimrst is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Kimrst 0

Default Anyone ever bought a used pool?

DH and I are in our 40's and we'd like to sell our home in a few years. I am thinking about buying a used AGP off ebay or some other place. Would anyone like to comment about this idea? I know you need a new liner when to take down and put up a pool. I'm think for a small amount of $ and a bit of hard work, we can have a pool for a few years . I love my frame pool but would like to upgrade, also we are putting 2 kids thru college and might have trouble justifying big $$ when we are on a budget. I've been reading posts and think I have the idea of how they go up. But am a little bit leary of buying something already taken down. Are pool parts universal? Are some more hard to replace than others? What is the average life of a agp in climates like Michigan? What should we stay away from? DH has done some building and we have a best friend who is an excavator . It could be next years spring prodject? Kimrst

jenpen400 Guest

Default Re: Anyone ever bought a used pool?

We bought a used pool last year and installed it. It has worked well for us. We have gotten our moneys worth out of it. We spent our money on a good 2 speed pump and sand filter. If you look hard you can probably get the pool for free. Winter is a good time to pick up all the goodies that make your pool easier and fun.

jennifer

Hi, there is nothing wrong with a used pool if you pick the right one. I also have two kids in college and understand the budget.

Pool parts are far from universal. Try to buy a complete package. Unless you know and trust your source do not buy a pool that has been dissmantled.

Find a pool that is up and working. Then you know it's all there. The only things you should plan on buying are a new liner and gaskets for the skimmer and return. A filter upgrade could be in the near future but try to get a working system.

Check the sidewall, bottom rails, uprights and footplates closely for rust.

You are always welcome to post pictures of the pool here before you buy. We could help confirm a good deal or not.

Happy pool hunting, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

Kimrst is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Kimrst 0

OK guys I found a pool I'm wondering about on ebay here is a link if I can get it down. Please advise what I might expect to pay? How long to take down and set up and how many pickups and men, cordless screw drivers to do it? Thanks Kimrst
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:EF:US:11

Looks like a nice pool but I bet that wood siding is a lot of work. Too bad you don't live here in Austin because Craigslist has an ABP 24' with pumps and all for $200. Anyway, I bought a 16x26x52 used pool and after all the work was over I had spent $1600 including the excavation and the new liner. I paid $600 for the pool with the pumps. Check Craigslist in your area. There are lots of pools going up for sale right now.
    Cornelious 16x26x52" AG
    Hayward Matrix 2spd 1HP 110V Pump
    Old Junky Sand Filter
    Jacuzzi Landslide 55 DE Secondary Filter
    1-1/2" Dow Pink Foam Bottom W/Foam Cove

Hi, The Ebay pool is an older Doughboy. I would look closely at the bottom rails and lower pool wall. If they are not rusted it could be a great deal. The age is not a big factor if it is in good shape. It looks good in the photo. All the extras are nice also. This is one I would want to look at.

Best of luck, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

+ Reply to Thread