Closed Thread

Thread: Returns Stuck

Unhappy Returns Stuck

Decided to close my pool on my own this year. I've watched it being closed for the last 2 years so I thought I was comfortable enough to do it.

Lowered the water level. Blew out the intake lines and the return lines. Plugged the main drain and put the gizmo in the skimmer. Everything was going great until it came to the wall fittings. I tried to remove the threaded pieces (sorry, not sure of its real name) but the @#$%^&* things won't come out!

I have tried everything and they will not budge. I have those little blue plastic "wrenches" but they were useless. A guy at the pool store suggested needle-nose pliers... and while they did give me a good grip, I didn't do anything but eventually strip the notches inside.

Can anyone offer suggestions? At this point I'm ready to cut them out (as the guy at the pool store said I might have to do) and replace them next year. I'm so frustrated right now (as you can probably tell).

I can't believe that I was this close to having it all done and something stupid like this has put an end to my day. Oh, and just in case I was frustrated enough... now it's raining!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Lightbulb Re: Returns Stuck

Wolffe, as this is over 24 hrs old and you sounded like you were reaching for the hacksaw, this may be too late.
    I wouldn't saw them out if only for fear of the recieving threads. As a quick and dirty option, I'd use #8 rubber expandable plugs in the 'seats' (I'm assuming that these are SP 1419- "X", 3 peice threaded directional inlets). Not sure what the blue 'wrenches' are, but I've always had success with the SP 1419-T (it's a white plastic ~2x3", notched at the bottom to fit the notches in the seat, there's a hole at the top through which a screwdriver can be inserted to increase torque) if the screwdriver isn't enough, out come the 18" channel locks. If, by some chance, this doesn't work (unlikely) - I use the same channel locks directly on the threads (this wrecks the seat, but it does come out). Still having trouble - place a 2x4 against the seat and give it a couple good rapps with a hammer to break the seal (the plastic threads have bonded to each other on the pool side, so gently driving it back will loosen it).

What have we learned? 1) someone overtightened the 'eyeballs' 2) Overtightened 'eyeballs' can be a real pain to remove and are probably not going to be usable again next season. 3) Use the right tool for the job. 4) Post here before going to the pool store (I logged off 10 min before you posted), even if you're going to the pool store anyway. (Most times, it's easier and cheeper to use this site as a first resource, rather than as a last resource ) 5) POP

If you don't want it to happen next year, don't screw them in so hard, they work just as well when left a little loose (though if you have kids that like to play with them or a robotic cleaner that 'eats' them out of the wall, you do need to put them in tight). If you have reason to 'reef' them in, a wrap of teflon tape will keep them from bonding to the female threads.
    I hope you resolve the problem and that you never have the same headache again!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: Returns Stuck

Thank you for the tips.

I did in fact cut one of one out and I managed to do it without damaging the the receiving threads *phew*. I managed, with a little brute force and ignorance, to actually unthread the other one.

Funny thing is... my pool guy put them in this spring... and he's the one who warned me from the very beginning not to put them in very tight. Next year I'll be opening the pool myself and I definitely plan on using the teflon tape to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Thanks again.

Closed Thread