+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cutting Solar Cover

Default Cutting Solar Cover

hi - just got my new solar cover for my pool (Free-form), and I was wondering on how to cut it - do you leave any space on the sides, or maybe let it overlap the edge some?

Any help is appreciated!

-randy

Default Re: Cutting Solar Cover

I have a free form pool also and I wish I didn't cut mine - I think it would be easier to get on the roller if I left it square - Rolling it up is a PIA I was thinking of not cutting the next one and just putting some weight on the corners and maybe the sides .

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Cutting Solar Cover - JUST MY $.02

rrands, JShilling has a point, with a reel irregular shapes are a hastle, but not too much of one if you have 2 people rolling it up (as a solo project it pretty much sucks ). However, not having it cut has it's own set of problems - the cover 'staining' the deck, gaps, which let debris in and allow heat to escape - especially around ladders, etc, and the wind removing it for you (but not putting it where you want it )
    If you decide to cut yours 2 people are also recomended (1 to cut and another to hold up the peice you've removed), if you keep tension on the 'cut' and with a sharp pair of scisors, the cover should cut like wraping paper (ie, just run the 'slightly split' scisors down the cut line.) When I cut one, I use the edge of the coping as my guide, this allows a fit that covers the water surface but not so much that it 'slops' onto the deck. If using a reel, I leave the back edge uncut so that it will roll up better.
    Last edited by waste; 09-27-2006 at 08:19 PM. Reason: i can't spell, and want to at least get a name right
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Awesome - thanks guys!

I don't have a reel, so that is not an issue (I am not against one, just don't have a place for it...)

So, if I understand you correctly, if I do decide to cut it to shape, I should cut it so that it fits as closely as possible to the side-walls? (I don't have anything protruding from the water, like stairs, etc).

Thanks!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

rrands, yes - cut it to shape with just a little over all around (ideally, it will be up on the wall a little all around the pool), this will keep 'max' heat in the water.
    I feel obliged to remind you to remove (at least part of the cover) for an hour or so every other day to let 'things' 'gas off' so you don't run into some problems that can arise by keeping the pool constantly covered for days on end. [I don't fully understand chemestry, but apparently letting the pool 'breath' regularly helps keep things on an even keel]. Chemgeek could tell you all the interactions that are involved, or you could 'search' a few of his posts on the topic and get an idea of what I'm trying to say.
    If you need any more help, feel free to ask (obviously - the site's free )
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Just let it 'relax' on the pool for a few days before you cut it. That way, you'll have more of a true size since all the wrinkles and folds will have had time to work out.
    Why BBB? Because money can't buy happiness, but saving it sure can!

Quote Originally Posted by JShilling View Post
    I have a free form pool also and I wish I didn't cut mine - I think it would be easier to get on the roller if I left it square - Rolling it up is a PIA I was thinking of not cutting the next one and just putting some weight on the corners and maybe the sides .

I was in the same situation w/ ours, and now to think of it. I think I will not cut it and jsut cover the pool and use 35 lbs weights on each four corners. Great idea!! Nice recomendation!!
    Yes I am a newbie

Grecian 17'x33' Vinyl liner pool
    ZeoBrite filteration
    SWG Aqua-rite
    Sta-Rite Dura-Glas 1.5hp pump.
    SAM Light

21037.5 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by Pool_Mike View Post
    I was in the same situation w/ ours, and now to think of it. I think I will not cut it and jsut cover the pool and use 35 lbs weights on each four corners. Great idea!! Nice recomendation!!
    Just make sure those weights are something you'd be comfortable dropping into your pool without fear of damage to the bottom. It's real easy for the cover to get wind under it (another reason to cut it to fit the water surface, you eliminate wind problems), or the water level to drop and pull the cover down, and the weights into the pool.

As I mentioned in another thread somewhere, I opened this spring with a cold dip to pull out 10 6"x12" pavers. And then another to patch two tiny holes in my liner. Another poster replied he had the same problem, but the damage was not repairable.

C.

I also have a free-form IG pool. I bought a solar cover and decided to cut it so that it fits perfectly on the water. It fits well but is a major pain to work with (the fact that it doesn't make much difference is all the more frustrating - too many trees == not enough sun to warm the pool) . At the moment it's two very large pieces - next year I'm thinking of cutting it into more manageable pieces as suggested in another thread by AnnaK -
    http://ellerbach.com/Pool/Solarcover/. The easer it is to use the more likely I'll be to use it.
    18K gallon free-form gunite pool, Sta-Rite S7D75 DE filter, 2-speed Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG, Heat Siphon SX3.25 heat pump, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic

+ Reply to Thread