+ Reply to Thread

Thread: acorn stains in new gunite pool

beary is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst beary 0

Default acorn stains in new gunite pool

The surprise is we cleaned the pool with a net 24 hours ago. Can acorns really stain the fast? My ph is high and clorine is low, can that add to the problem? Can we clean the stain?

Thanks

Beary

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: acorn stains in new gunite pool

Beary, Mbar is our 'resident stain expert' and may contribute to this post. I used to deal with these by placing a tri-chlor puck on them (or a satchel of ca-hypo) to bleach them out (this was ~12 yrs ago when I worked for a co that did mostly shotcrete/ marcite finish pools). As I understand it, high pH will allow metals to stain quicker (I've always assumed that acorns have iron in them - just from the stain they 'leaf' ). I also believe that high chlorine will quicken the staining, so I'm not sure why your stain appeared so quickly (??) Until one of the 'stain experts' can get back to you, try the concentrated chlorine I described (puck or satchel), it always worked for me. They may recommend ascorbic acid, but I'll leave that to them (or if no one else answers, I'll give it a shot, but I'm not really sure how it works - just that it does).
    Looks like you need to either cover that pool or cut down the oak trees
    If you could give a full set of chem #s (cl, fc,cc,pH,TA,CH and cya) it would help everyone who wants to give you advice! Best of luck and lots of fun with your pool! We are here if or when you need us! - Waste
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: acorn stains in new gunite pool

waste is right - chlorine will bleach out the stains over time. I get stains from them all the time since I live in the woods Ascorbic acid will not take the stains off. You can either put the chlorine right on the stain, or you can try rubbing the stain off with a "stain stick" or Mr. Clean magic eraser. The stains will eventually go away on their own with the high chlorine. Yes, the acorns stain really fast - I always try to get them out as soon as I see them!
    Last edited by mbar; 09-24-2006 at 11:26 PM.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread