+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cover pump

pool newby is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst pool newby 0

Default Cover pump

After a day of heavy rainfall, 10 inches (geez !), I need to drain some of the water off my winter cover. I have been looking around for an inexpensive pool cover pump. I'm wondering if the cheap hand siphon pumps work ok? , or is there a better model ? Also, how much water should remain on the cover ? Should some be left on the cover to help the cover stay in place, from wind getting up and under the cover?

thanks

Bob P.
    E Tn.

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Default Re: Cover pump

Many of the cover mfg recommend at least 1" or so to keep the cover in place.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

You can use a garden hose to syphon the water off (for now, once the water freezes it's not gonna happen). As your pool probably has 52" walls, a shorter hose would be easier. All you have to do to start a syphon is fill the hose with water (i would do it with the water on the cover (method available on request)) cap with palm of hand, and bring the capped end below water level and 'let it flow'. If you want to invest in a 'cover pump', that will also work - if you want to spend more $, you can get one with a pressure switch so that it turns itself on and off when the water is high enough.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

I like the electric pump that cost about $70 from Lowes. Hooks to a Garden hose.

pool newby is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst pool newby 0

Thanks for the replies, I had an old garden hose that I was going to toss anyway, and cut it to size, and the siphon method is working like a charm. I'm always ready to save $$$ anywhere possible. Now, I just gotta watch it, and make sure I leave about an inch on top, and don't drain the whole thing.

Bob P
    E Tn
    pool newby

As I've been dealing with a leaky pool since closing, I've had lots of time to perfect my cover draining skills (always look on the bright side, right?)

I've been using my pool vacuum hose as the siphon hose, getting it started with suction from a small wet/dry vac. Works like a charm. You just have to keep the vac hose under water of course not to lose suction. Once you get it set, the water is gone lickety split.

+ Reply to Thread