+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skimmer replacement "circular weir" questions.

Socal_biker Guest

Default Skimmer replacement "circular weir" questions.

I've isolated and verified that my water leak is comming from the skimmer.

Thus, I'm going to have it replaced, especially since it's over 25+ years old. The plastic body has many cracks in it, which I've attempted to seal. With little success.

Another problem is that I haven't been able to prime that line from the skimmer. It's either clogged or the PVC pipe is cracked/broken somewhere. Going to have that checked out.

I'm looking at two Pentair skimmers models to replace my old one. Everything else I have is Pentair, so I'd rather stick with keeping it in the family.

White Goods - Admiral S20 Skimmers
    White Goods - Admiral S15 Skimmers

Description
    The S20 line of Admiral skimmers have a PVC reinforced twin port base. S20 may be purchased with equalizer for commercial applications for when the second port is connected to the main drain. All models include the exclusive lock down lid and are available with a flap weir or the exclusive circular weir for superior skimming action.
    I'm not at all familar with the "circular weir" feature that I can get with these skimmer models.

• Anyone have any knowledge on how well it works?
    • Do you have any opinions regarding the circular weir compared to the regular flapper?

I've got serious problems with pine needles falling into the pool. I've got two huge pine trees along one side of the pool. It's at least once or twice a day choir to keep it completely clean. If they stay in the water too long the will sink to the floor and jam up the pool cleaner. I really only have problems with the pine needles and maybe a few small bugs. Other than that, not much else floating in the water.

Now.. I've never seen a pool with a circular weir, so I'm not sure how it looks. I have an idea how it works from my google research, but I've yet to see the application in a pool skimmer.

Based on what little I know about the circular weir...

• Would the circular weir work well with pine needles? I'm worried if it didn't have a flapper door, than I might have problems with the stuff floating back into the pool? I'm thinking it works something like the disappearing edge pool feature.
    • Or should I just stick with the flapper weir. It worked well, when mine was working. But, if the circular weir may be better for my application, then I'm game for trying it out.

Default Re: Skimmer replacement "circular weir" questions.

I just searched "circular weir" on Google Images to see what this is. Found some non-pool-related photos that may help answer some of your questions, like the pine needles floating back in. If you flow is strong enough, it appears unlikely that this wound happen. But, IRL, I have no idea.

ETA just re-read your post closer, and gather that you found this info already.
    Last edited by GraceByDesign; 09-22-2006 at 08:52 AM.
    ~Grace

Avid reader of this forum
    but alas, no pool... yet!

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

i have a circular weir type...never had a flapper type so can't compare..the only time i potentially get a few things floating back in is when i lift out the basket to clean it..otherwise, the leaves, etc don't float..they do stay at the bottom of the basket..it works great.

Socal_biker Guest

Thanks for the info about the circular weir.

I called Pentair and the S20 Circular Weir skimmer model will accept the flapper door, should I decide to convert back to that style of weir. So, that made it an easy decision for me to know which model to order.

Much cheaper to convert from a circular weir to flapper weir. I would just have to order the door.

I dug out my old skimmer late last week, before ordering the new unit. Just to make sure I would order the appropriate skimmer unit for my pool.

I rented a concrete saw and jack hammer from Home Depot. It made removing the deck sidewalk an easy job.

Digging the dirt and breaking up the concrete from around the skimmer was a little harder. It took me a few hours to dig down to below the skimmer. So, I could access the drain PVC pipe going into the skimmer.

The pool water level was just a fraction of an inch too high and some of it drained into the hole as I was digging. The water just drained out into the soil.

What I ordered online.
    • Admiral S20 - Skimmer w/Equalizer Valve & Circular Weir - 84420500

It just came in via UPS today. So, it's time to go forward with the install.

Now that I have the skimmer on hand, I can run down and get the PVC fittings and rebar I need to install the new unit.

Socal_biker Guest

more pics...

I have a pretty good idea on how to proceed.

But, any tips from anyone (pool owner or builder) would be appreciated.

please let us know how yr new round skimmer works. have just had one fitted and thought that the plumber had lost the wier and had to call pentair direct to convince myself that he was right and i wasn`t being worked over.

Socal_biker Guest

I got a late start today.

I measured from the ring seat (lid collar) to the bottom of the threaded fittings I was using. The threaded 2" fittings were threaded in and sealed with plumbers pipe thread sealant. Since my piping is 1½", I glued 1½" to 2" bushing into the threaded fittings.

I ordered the skimmer with 2" threaded fittings, as there were way more choices of model #s than I had with 1½" S20 skimmers. I just used a 1½" to 2" bushing, to make it fit.

Next I laid a piece of wood accross the deck and measured down the height of the skimmer + fittings. I compensated for a 3 cm (subtracted from the total lenght of skimmer & fittings) for the PVC drain pipe slip fit.

Measured multiple times, checked my calculations, marked the pipe, wrapped some tape around the pipe as a guide, and then cut the PVC drain pipe as level as I could.

I cleaned up the face of the pool wall, where the skimmer was to mate with. Used a chisel to make sure everything was flush as possible.

Test fitted the skimmer. Made sure the ring seat (lid collar) was below or level with the deck. The ring seat is adjustable, so I made sure it was just below deck level, as I could alway raise it to the height of the deck, when it's poured.
    Last edited by Socal_biker; 10-07-2006 at 11:25 PM.

Socal_biker Guest

With the test fitting going as planned. I didn't have to make any adjustments.

I put a couple beads of silicon around where the skimmer box mated with the pool wall.

I primed and applied glue the drain PVC pipe. Tapped the skimmer down with a wooden block, to make sure I went down to the proper slip fit. Finish plumbing the skimmer portion to the skimmer intake pipe going to the pool pump. Used wooden blocks to hold the skimmer level & plumb.

Skimmer ran great, no leaks with just the silicon and wooden blocks holding it in place. Kept it this way for a couple of days to make sure there were no leaks. It's only wet in the pictures from me rinsing the area clean.

Another good thing I found out. I found out why I was having so much trouble priming the skimmer line. When I was cutting off the old skimmer, I found my floating pool thermometer inside it. lol

I'm currently filling/topping off the pool, so I can test it and check for leaks.

Tomorrow,

• I will backfill the hole and make a form around the skimmer. Add some rebar and tie it to the pool. Then encase the skimmer in cement.
    • Then pour the concrete deck to finish it off.
    Last edited by Socal_biker; 10-10-2006 at 03:57 PM.

Socal_biker Guest

Dirt backfill

Small plywood form around skimmer. Some rebar re-enforcement tied to existing rebar from old skimmer. I put two u-shaped pieces in. Lower rebar pictured. Second one was installed, after several inches on concrete was poured.

Concrete drying. Skimmer working perfectly and no leaks.

Video:
    Circular weir in action. Clicking noise, is the Kreepy Krauly cleaning the pool. This is with the skimmer equalizer valve nearly fully open (underneath the basket). You can adjust the skimmer action by adjusting the equalizer valve.
    Click here to watch Circular-wier-1
    Click here to watch Circular-wier-2

Just need to backfill with more dirt and then pour the deck over the skimmer.
    Last edited by Socal_biker; 10-10-2006 at 04:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread