+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to replace wall fitting?

Default How to replace wall fitting?

I would like to replace my I/G vinyl pool return wall fitting. The face plate is cracked and think it's a good time to replace during closing. Is it necessarry to lower the water level below the return?

Or, should I just replace the faceplate? Also, does that require lowering the water?

I believe my part is hayward sp-1408.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: How to replace wall fitting?

Brian, funny thing - just this morning as I was installing the plug on a bubbling return, the faceplate cracked (the funny thing is that I didn't notice the hairline crack when I removed the directional 'eyeball'). I muttered a few choice words, told my partner to stop blowing out the lines, and went and got a #3 Philips head screwdriver and ... a new SP 1408. The changeout was made underwater, as all the ones I've done are, just be careful not to drop the screws and don't overtighten them when reinstalling - overtightened return faceplate screws will crack the faceplate. On the other hand, undertightened screws can cause a leak - don't 'power' the screws in, turn them until you feel resistence and give just them a small 'snug' turn, they should recess a little into the faceplate, but not too much.
    One other thing, if it's an older pool the faceplate may be a SP 1411, which has the receiving threads in the faceplate, not the wall fitting.
    I'm sure that you can replace just the faceplate and have no problem with it anymore.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Waterworks is offline In the pool biz Thread Analyst Waterworks 0

I agree with Waste. This job is easily done without lowering the water, and I certainly wouldn't replace the whole fitting. Most of the time the faceplate will wear out pre-maturely because someone over-tightened the screws. I just can't believe Waste is already closing pools. We're not starting for 2 more weeks, and I'm from Canada...jk

Brad
    Waterworks Pools

Thanks. I would have assumed that water would somehow go behind the liner, but since I haven't changed it yet, I'm not familiar with the part.

Can you purchase just the face plate? Is it still sp-1408?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

This may be a little late, I didn't get a chance to log on yesterday (MIL in town overnight). Yes it's SP 1408, and any pool store that hase liner pool supplies should have one you can buy, without having to get the whole fitting.
    Durring the short time it takes to remove the old faceplate and install the new one, some water will leak - but the force of the water in the pool will keep the liner ~sealed to the wall, so the amount lost is negligable. Good luck with the change out, if you need any more help or have more ?s, feel free to ask.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Thanks, I changed them this weekend, no problems.

I had another issue though. For some reason when blowing out my lines, my Shop Vac would not blow out the furthest return this year. (It has done it in years past). Long story short, called local pool guy to blow out the lines.

He had a cyclone blower. He also had a special attachment that hooked right up to the pump by replacing the clear plastic on the pump.

I have done some searches online and see the cyclone comes in different Horespower. What HP would you recommend for a 20*40 (27,000) I/G? They have a 3.0 & 2.75 for lower cost:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3243

Also, do you know where I can purchase the "special" attachment?

It might be worth the investment to split with my brother who also has a pool.

Brian, (it must be something about you) - funny thing , we just purchased a 2.75 hp cyclone vac /blower for doing closings! (I had never heard of Cyclone vacs prior to this). The 2.75 hp should have more than enough power to do your pool.
    As for the 'special attachment', I don't know if they're sold, we made our own. It's a regular superpump lid that we drilled a 3" hole in, using the hole saw we use on our pools to add extra suction and return lines. We then put an AG pool return fitting in the hole and screwed in a SP1091-Z-7 backwash adaptor. This should be pretty much what your pool dude used. With the multiport on 'recirc', you should be able to blow all the lines, though you may have to play with the valves a little to get the pressure right. As this is something you won't need til next year, do some more price shopping to hopefully reduce the cost some. Have a great winter!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Watse, where did you purchase your Cyclone from? Who manufactures them?

Cool Re: How to replace wall fitting?

Brian, I'm not sure, it appeard one day a couple of weeks ago on one of the construction crews' trucks. It had not been 'adapted' for the suction hoses we use to drop liners, so I gave them the 'box style' one we'd been using in exchange, which was ready to do liner drops. I'll try to remember to ask where it came from and see if I can't get a look at the manual for it(7 am isn't the time to get the 'best results' out of my brain ). If I can get the manual, I'll copy the pertinent info and let you know.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

+ Reply to Thread