Closed Thread

Thread: Closing an IG Pool in California??

Default Closing an IG Pool in California??

Hello everyone,

The tips and advice on this board has been unbelievably helpful since we moved into our home and had our pool redone a few months ago.

My question is, since this will be our first winter with a swimming pool, what is the closing procedure for an inground pool in the mild climate of Northern California? Pipes don't freeze, and the temperatures might dip into the 40's, but nothing severe. I bought a winter cover for it, just to keep all the leaves out of it, but other than that, can somone give me the 'mild winter' tips on shutting down a pool???

Thanks!!

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Default Re: Closing an IG Pool in California??

I live in Northern California (San Rafael) with similar weather to what you describe. I have solar panels that get drained (by our solar panel vendor) because even a short frost or freeze can ruin such panels (since they are so efficient at transferring energy and have high surface area to volume), but I keep the pump and filter on though at a reduced time schedule of 2 hours/day instead of 8 hours/day (I only switch to this schedule after the pool cools off considerably). I also cut the pool sweep back from 3 hours/day 4 days/week down to 1 hour/day 2 days/week though if your cover goes to the edge and nothing gets into your pool then the pool sweep may not need to be run at all.

I generally add a shock dose of chlorine, keep it uncovered until the chlorine settles down to the still high level of about 10 ppm and I also add some "startup amount" of polyquat algicide for good measure. If you want your chlorine to last longer and don't care about spending a little money, you can also add some non-chlorine shock (Potassium Monopersulfate - KPMS) as well, though most would say that's overkill (and if you already have 50 ppm of Borates in your pool, then the algicide and possibly the KPMS are probably not that helpful). My pool cover is electric so I can open it up during the winter to check on the chlorine and add more if needed, but the chlorine loss is very, very slow. During the summer, my loss is about 0.5 ppm per day (16,000 gallon pool kept at 3 ppm FC minimum) because I keep it covered except when in use (or after the rare shocking) and in the winter it probably loses around 0.5 ppm per week.

The pool generally cools to around 55F in the winter, though gets as low as just below 50F during the coldest part of winter. Of course, nighttime temps can get colder than that -- typically in the 40's -- but the ground temps don't seem to get that cold.

Just out of curiosity, could you measure your CYA when you close your pool and then measure again when you open it and post your results (if you remember!)? I'm going to do that and also monitor my CYA during the summer to try and figure out why and how much CYA degrades over time.

Richard
    Last edited by chem geek; 09-20-2006 at 06:36 PM.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

You got it easy. If it were my situation I would try to get to learn what happens while closed. That is, the chemistry and algae issues. As long as you can circulate water at any time, I'd try circulating for a couple hours every few days. Monitor the chemistry. If, after a few weeks you see nothing happening algae wise, cut back on the frequency of the runs. If you get algae or anything else messed up, fix it and tweak the procedure. After a season of this you should have a pretty good handle on the issue for next Winter. If you have solar that may be another issue. As I stated in my sticky about closing, solar heaters are good heat absorbers and therefore good heat radiators and can freeze quickly on a clear cold night.
    Al

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    Hello everyone,

The tips and advice on this board has been unbelievably helpful since we moved into our home and had our pool redone a few months ago.

My question is, since this will be our first winter with a swimming pool, what is the closing procedure for an inground pool in the mild climate of Northern California? Pipes don't freeze, and the temperatures might dip into the 40's, but nothing severe. I bought a winter cover for it, just to keep all the leaves out of it, but other than that, can somone give me the 'mild winter' tips on shutting down a pool???

Thanks!!
    I don't shut mine down either but I do reduce pump time and chlorine setting on my SWG. Last year, once the water temp dropped below 60 deg, I ran about 0.5 - 1.0 ppm CL with about 30 ppm CYA and had no problems.

My solar panels are auto drain so I don't have to worry about those and the controller turns on the pumps when temps drop below 33 deg to prevent any freezing.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Closed Thread