Closed Thread

Thread: Winterizing Spillover Spa

Default Winterizing Spillover Spa

What is the propoer way to winterize a spillover spa ? It was four drains and 7 inlets. The drain covers are a standard 1.5 inch screw so I am assuming I would blow those out and then put plugs in. Do I blow out the inlets, pour some anti-freeze in them and them turn them to off and leave the tub emply on water ?

Thanks

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Winterizing Spillover Spa

Asw... , doing the drains the way you say is great. As for the returns, not so great If you have the same spa that we install on our liner pools, remove the venturi fittings (6) and the fill fitting by the steps. If you need some info on how to do this, feel free to ask (we have ~40 of these that we winterize). While blowing out the lines, use a #11 expandable rubber plug to seal them, first remove the air inlet valve, this will allow you to get as much of the water out of the lines as you can. When you plug the last inlet, water will 'gush' out of the air port, keep blowing - put your palm over the air port and hold it there for a few seconds, then release it you should see a plume of water errupt, keep doing this until only 'mist' is comming out. At this point you can add antifreeze to the air port to prevent any water still in the line from bursting any pipes. You should then refill the spa (we've had a number of them 'float' in the spring thaw and water in them gives them more weight). Sorry not to go into more detail now, but detail = not posting this til after midnight
    If you need more on what I've suggested, ask and I'll get to it tommorow.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default More Questions ...

I have had the pool a couple of years now and last year was the 1st time I winterized it myself because the pool installer disappeared ! My 1st year winterizing just duplicated what the installer did but it did not seem to give complete protection. (Was lucky last year in my opinion) You response shows knowledge of the issues involved and I appreate the detailed help. Now for the additional questions:

1. My spa jets get removed by pushing a tab towards the center and then pulling the whole assembly out. You can't screw a plug in so I am assumming the # 11 Plugs are the rubber with wing nuts to expand.
    2.When the spa was installed they screwed something up with the "Fill Fitting" by the steps and installed a fitting in it's place that is non adjustable that just rotates around by itself. Is there supposed to be a special fitting there ? I am unsure how this one comes out ...
    3.I use a compressor fitting on the pump filter drain. What psi should I be using ?
    4. If I refill the tub do I need to put anything in it like the skimmer to prevent cracking or is the area large enough to prevent it by itself?
    5. Is RV anti freeze the dsame as Pool antifreeze ? I notice a big differance in price ...

Thansk again !!

Default Pictures of the Fill Jet

1. Is this the correct "Fill Jet"
    2. How does it come out ? A ring slides out around it but that is as fas as I can get it out.
    Attached Images

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: More Questions ...

Quote Originally Posted by aswetich View Post
    I have had the pool a couple of years now and last year was the 1st time I winterized it myself because the pool installer disappeared ! My 1st year winterizing just duplicated what the installer did but it did not seem to give complete protection. (Was lucky last year in my opinion) You response shows knowledge of the issues involved and I appreate the detailed help. Now for the additional questions:

1. My spa jets get removed by pushing a tab towards the center and then pulling the whole assembly out. You can't screw a plug in so I am assumming the # 11 Plugs are the rubber with wing nuts to expand.
    2.When the spa was installed they screwed something up with the "Fill Fitting" by the steps and installed a fitting in it's place that is non adjustable that just rotates around by itself. Is there supposed to be a special fitting there ? I am unsure how this one comes out ...
    3.I use a compressor fitting on the pump filter drain. What psi should I be using ?
    4. If I refill the tub do I need to put anything in it like the skimmer to prevent cracking or is the area large enough to prevent it by itself?
    5. Is RV anti freeze the dsame as Pool antifreeze ? I notice a big differance in price ...

Thansk again !!
    No problem, I'm more than willing to share my experience with the members of the forum!
    #1 - you've got the spa I'm most familiar with (the one I was refering to in my earlier post). I know the tabs you're talking about and yes, pull the whole thing out by GENTLY!!! pulling the tab out - they have a tendency to break off if pulled too hard or too far. The first thing to do is work the outer ring from on to off to on a few times (grit can get in them and will frustrate your attempts to remove them, if you don't 'loosen' them first), it's about 1/4 turn each way. If one just won't come out after doing this, take a step back and get a thin 'flathead' (-) screwdriver and wedge it in all the way between tab and ring and gently pry on the tab while pulling the jet out. Yes, the plugs are rubber(?) and have 2 washers, a bolt and wingnut (#11 is what you want and don't push them in past the 'valley' or they'll be a PITA to get back out.)
    #2 - This is the tough one, (BTW, THANKS!! for the pics, I've never seen one of those before and therefore don't know how it works) It looks like you may be able to get some torque on it with a screwdriver through the outlet, but I doubt it would work, but still worth a try. They make very small expandable plugs one of which would probably seal the inlet, that's the best bet. As a last resort I would heat up the 'nose' of a pair of needle-nose pliers and melt a couple of 'torque points' in the securing ring (I'd go easy on the ring and not let them be too deep), splash some water on them to cool and stop the melting and use the pliers to unscrew the ring. This s*cks astheticly, but is better than having a leaking line (from freeze damage) in a spa embedded in a concrete deck! (If you're handy, a couple of 'finish nails' in a block of wood (2X4 end) and matching drilled dimples in the ring could do the job).
    #3 - The psi depends on how much water you need to evacuate. I'd set it at ~15 - 20 and see if that's enough to get all the water to bubble out of the lines, when you do it with the inlets/ outlets 'dry' (as opposed to under water) the lines clear much more easily.
    #4 - we never have and haven't had a problem, in 4 years of installing these. I think the walls are sturdy enough to take the ice expansion, but if you want to play it safe, you can ~12 fill empty 1 gal bottles (like bleach comes in, you probably have a few floating around ) with sand or gravel and string them across the spa (ok, time for some detail - midnight won't be here for 4 hours - 1/2 filled jugs will still remain ~1/2 way out of the water, empty ones would just float on top. keeping the empty part of the jugs at water level is what will give you the 'crush protection' from the ice. To string them, take a 10' length of rope (laundry line is a great size) and feed it through each of the bottles handles and back through again [a full circle of rope on each handle] without tying a knot in it - the bottle will be able to move but is secured. Then you need to secure the ends of the rope so that the bottles 'float' in the middle of the tub 1 - 2' apart - you can just wrap the ends of the rope around a cinderblock a couple of times to keep them in place or tie them to something convenient. This method was old when pools were young but the waaayy "old schoolers' still use it)
    # 5 - Pool antifreeze is 'propolyne glycol', as long as that's what the bottle of RV antifreeze says, it's the same (I've seen some posts about it and am fairly sure they are the same thing).
    Good luck with your closing, have a great winter and if you ever need help with the pool or spa - ask away!!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Where can I find the correct fill fitting ?

I got the fill fitting out and would like to have the correct one for next year. Do you know the part number or manufacturer of the correct fill fitting ?

Thanks

Default Re: Winterizing Spillover Spa

I'm not ignoring your last ?, but I honestly don't perform well (mentally) at 7 a.m. I just keep forgetting to ask the boss for the 'Big Book Of Pool Parts' in the morning. (I did check out one that I removed the other day - it had 4 different part #s on it - but one that I remember is WHRPL - 210- 6050 (I think?) )
    I wrote myself a note to ask about this and 3 other things tomorrow a.m.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Default Thanks

Let me know what you find so can order the correct one .

Closed Thread