Closed Thread

Thread: winterizing pool in GA??? (Savannah)

Default winterizing pool in GA??? (Savannah)

hello,

we are new to the pool business and new to the area and don't know exactly what to expect for the fall and winter time............We are about an hour away inland of Savannah in Portal close to Statesboro GA and out temps right now are still in the high 80's low 90's during the day. Locals told us that it is usually very nice but that it is possible to have a few days here and there in the 30's. We do not have any trees with leafs close by and the pine trees are at least 20-30 feet away.
    What do we need to do???

Cover or no cover?
    Does the pump needs to run? If so how often and how long??
    Do we have to disconnect anything?
    Drain filter?
    Add chemicals?
    Clean?
    Store anything inside???
    Friends of ours have an AG in Savannah. They cover it wait for spring uncover it clean it shock it and that's it.
    ??????????????????????????????????

thanks Sissy
    Sissy in GA
    16x28x4 AG Doughboy

kevincad is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst kevincad 0

Default Re: winterizing pool in GA??? (Savannah)

I live in the Atlanta area, and even here, some people don't cover theirs. I do. It just kind of makes it maintenence free while it's too cold to swim. The only maintenence to be done after it's covered is occasionally getting the water off of the winter cover. And, unlike most, I syphon mine off as opposed to using a pump. I've got a piece of garden hose with a weight duct taped to the end. Anyway, I clean my pool really good, shock, then cover when the chlorine level gets to the high end of the scale for the amount of cya you have. Then, being an above ground pool, lower the water level to below the return, then cover the pool. I unhook the hose from the return, and cover the return with a piece of duct tape. Drain the pump and filter, and that's it.

There is nothing wrong with keeping it open in your area, in my opinion, but you'll be cleaning, adding chemicals, etc. all winter long.

Closed Thread