Closed Thread

Thread: blow out plugs

Default blow out plugs

Does anyone know who online sells 2" and 1" blowout plugs (sometimes called shrader valves)? I want the ones that you can hook up to an air compressor and blow out the lines.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: blow out plugs

A shrader valve is the tiny valve assembly in a tire stem I believe. Are these plugs something like a rubber stopper with a tire valve in them? If it is I can't imaging it would be too hard to make. You can buy replacement tubeless tire stems at any auto store. Of course I could be all wrong since I've never seen these plugs in which case I'll delete my post.
    Al

haze_1956 is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst haze_1956 0

Shrader valves are exactly what are used in tires.

But I found that quick disconnects that are used on air tools work better. You don't need to hold it in place, just clip it in and let the compressor run.

Also they are threaded so you can adapt them to any size using plumbing fittings.

They are sold in the tool dept of most home centers.

I have one adapted to attach to an outside house spigot. I use it to blow out water lines that won't drain so I can solder pipes.
    Last edited by haze_1956; 09-18-2006 at 10:25 AM.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Thanks for mentioning that Haze. I have one underground pipe I use to get either water or compressed air to the poolhouse. If you're good at soldering you can make adapters from standard brass garden hose repair fittings to quick disconnect air fittings. Nice thing about those air fittings is they have a coarse thread, 1/4 or 3/8 NPT I think, and you can drill a hole in a PVC endcap or pipe and use the fitting to cut a thread in the PVC to make any kind of adapter you want.
    Al

Closed Thread