+ Reply to Thread

Thread: observation

Default observation

I started using bleach about 2 years ago when CYA was too high. It is my opinion that most pool owners use pucks because it is just the mentality of pool owners and most pool service people. Is this a correct asessment? I suppose it really does not matter but I would guess that strictly bleach users would be a small minority ( probably less than 5% of all pool owners)of the santizing methods used. In fact, I know many people that have pools and I am the only one who pours cloxox bleach into their pool. I am glad I found this site a few years ago, but I have lugged a lot of gallons jugs to my pool. Most people are just too lazy for this kind of work and pucks seem to be an easy way out. Just an observation.

Default Re: observation

an easier way out is a SWCG ...
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

fcfrey is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst fcfrey 0

Oclat,
    I think you are probably correct on the mentality issue. I stumbled on this site this spring. The better half downloaded the BBB method information a couple of years ago but never acted on the info because the people who sold us the pool discourage the use of "generic chemicals".

Now after 4 years of trying every miracle chemical that came down the pike, we have made the conversion to the BBB method. Buying 20 gallons of Clorox gets some stares but who cares. I mention this site to everyone that I meet that has a pool, most look at me like I'm a Martian when I say I don't use pool store chemicals --- There comes the menality.

Obviously, after 2 years on BBB you are happy with the decision. I trust I will be too.

Philbo,
    I have considered the SWCG but every pool I have visited with SWCG tasted like salt. I hate going to the beach --- salt, sand, sharks etc. The thought of dumping 500 pounds of salt into my pool is something I'm not ready for yet. Granted it would be easier, but maybe Hamop78 just as good of an idea with injection of bleach rather than a gallon or more every evening. http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=5786 I'm still learning.

Anyway, Thanks to this site my mentality has changed and the mind has opened to other ways of doing things. One thing for sure ---- The best money I ever spent relative to my pool is the various test kits that are so very necessary for good pool management.
    Last edited by fcfrey; 09-13-2006 at 08:01 PM. Reason: spelling add link

To you Clorox bottle sloggers:
    You may also be able to do as I do; my local pool store, a Mom and Pop operation, stocks 5 and 10 gallon 'carboys' of 12.5% chlorine. Take note of how long they've had it, the shelf life is much shorter than Clorox. But it's made chlorinating much easier for me. Twice the concentration goes twice as far.

C.

I generally buy the ~1.5 gallon bottles of bleach, and only 3-4 at a whack, so I don't get the curious stares from people. It does take somewhat more effort in the sense that you monitor it more closely, but it's literally less than 10 minutes a day (for me). So much easier than having to deal with an algae bloom, really. I used the pucks a little at the beginning and they really caused the pH to go out of whack.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
    To you Clorox bottle sloggers:
    You may also be able to do as I do; my local pool store, a Mom and Pop operation, stocks 5 and 10 gallon 'carboys' of 12.5% chlorine. Take note of how long they've had it, the shelf life is much shorter than Clorox. But it's made chlorinating much easier for me. Twice the concentration goes twice as far.
    C.
    It's worth checking the yellow pages and asking around about industrial suppliers as well. I had seen a sign in my end of town for a while saying they sold chlorine, but was content to slug Walmart bleach. I finally dropped in and found they sell 12.5% at $6 CDN for 10 litres (about US$5.30). At PPM that's about 1/3 cheaper than Walmart's bleach. They guarantee 12% and I believe he said it's 12.8% when delivered. Needless to say, they go through a ton of it and its pretty fresh.

+ Reply to Thread