Closed Thread

Thread: Winterizing IG pool

Default Winterizing IG pool

Do you drain the water below the jets ?
    Some compainies around here (Toronto Canada) seem to do this, others don't and just plug the jets.
    What is the proper way to do this.
    Most that I know of don't use antifreeze either and we have below freezing temperatures for about 3 months.

What is the proper way to close an IG pool for the winter ?

Thanks

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Talking Re: Winterizing IG pool

Hancop, without getting into much detail:
    Closing an IG pool requires evacuating the water from the lines, so they don't freeze and burst, if done well you don't need to add antifreeze (but it's a good idea, just in case...) This can be done by lowering the water below the returns and blowing the water out of them with a shop-vac or you can just blow them with the water up and plug them while they're 'bubbling' (lowering the water too much can cause problems if you have flooding or a high water table). Skimmers need to be blown out and have some sort of 'freeze protection' put in them (something that will absorb the crushing force of ice) - I recommend antifreeze in the skimmers.
    You also need to drain the water out of the filter equipment after cleaning the filter.
    Then add a shock dose of bleach, and some poly 60 algicide.
    The final thing is to cover the pool.
    (All of this ***umes clean and ballanced water before starting to close the pool)
    There are some 'holes' in this quick explaination, but perhaps it will give others a place to start. (Poconos, one of the moderators, is currently working on a 'sticky' for closing IG pools, once it's on line it should answer most of your questions). If you need more specific advice, just ask and someone will answer
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: Winterizing IG pool

Looking forward to the sticky. I have the pool company scheduled next mo. Wouldnt mind saving that $300. Afraid of line freezing and voiding my warranty.If you could put on that sticky how to winterize pump and de filter.

Thanks
    25000 IG gunite.

Closed Thread